radar angle

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Bogan

Reaction score
I have a 2025 parker and am trying to mount a Furuno radar dome on a 10 inch forward mount on the roof , but not sure the angle down the dome should be mounted for the best radar reception. I am seeing, 4, or 6 degrees. Anyone have one? jb

I have a 2025 parker and am trying to mount a Furuno radar dome on a 10 inch forward mount on the roof , but not sure the angle down the dome should be mounted for the best radar reception. I am seeing, 4, or 6 degrees. Anyone have one? jb
I use plastic washers on the mounting bolts as shims to adjust the angle of the dome. A few more on the back bolts then the front to get the desired angle. I take my dome off every Winter when I cover the boat. This Spring I decided I wanted to try a bit more angle on the dome so I added in a couple more plastic washers to the rear bolts. The current performance of my RADAR is excellent. I couldn’t tell you what the actual angle is but the RADAR is painting well and I like the way the forward cant of the dome looks. I’m sure there are all sorts of reasons why what I do is wrong and that a wedge designed for such purpose is essential but for me and my boat, this method has worked well for almost 20 years….IMG_9295.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m of the opinion that installing wedges and trying to achieve a certain angle is not necessary.

My Garmin 18xhd has worked perfectly in all aspects that a radar should, including bird mode, running tight inlets and bars, running at night, etc. mine is on a pedestal and set perpendicular to the roof.

Now you did say Furuno and I’m running a slightly older Garmin. But if it were me I’d just set it and forget it.

I use plastic washers on the mounting bolts as shims to adjust the angle of the dome. A few more on the back bolts then the front to get the desired angle. I take my dome off every Winter when I cover the boat. This Spring I decided I wanted to try a bit more angle on the dome so I added in a couple more plastic washers to the rear bolts. The current performance of my RADAR is excellent. I couldn’t tell you what the actual angle is but the RADAR is painting well and I like the way the forward cant of the dome looks. I’m sure there are all sorts of reasons why what I do is wrong and that a wedge designed for such purpose is essential but for me and my boat, this method has worked well for almost 20 years….View attachment 37259
thank you, looks great jb

I had originally mounted my Fantom 24' on the roof of my pilot house with stop nuts to give it a 5 degree forward tilt. It worked well. I have since added a FLIR so I mounted the Fantom on a 6" stainless mount with a 5 degree wedge. I had to turn the gain down because it became so much more effective in picking up returns. Especially so when on plane and running at speed. If you mount it flat, it will work. If you add a wedge and some height it will work better.
IMG_2586.jpeg
IMG_0721.JPG

I had originally mounted my Fantom 24' on the roof of my pilot house with stop nuts to give it a 5 degree forward tilt. It worked well. I have since added a FLIR so I mounted the Fantom on a 6" stainless mount with a 5 degree wedge. I had to turn the gain down because it became so much more effective in picking up returns. Especially so when on plane and running at speed. If you mount it flat, it will work. If you add a wedge and some height it will work better.
View attachment 37265
View attachment 37264
How u liking the FLIR?

How about a pic of the display.

How u liking the FLIR?

How about a pic of the display.
Not really as happy as I thought I would be with it. The field of view is a bit narrow and then it has two zoom levels that really cut down the field. I wish it had a wide angle option. I bought the higher resolution without the ability to pan MD-625 which was $5k. The camera is great at picking things up that are directly in front of the boat. I guess it would be better if I had mounted aft and above the radome; but, height is a concern because I occasionally trailer her.

I’m of the opinion that installing wedges and trying to achieve a certain angle is not necessary.

My Garmin 18xhd has worked perfectly in all aspects that a radar should, including bird mode, running tight inlets and bars, running at night, etc. mine is on a pedestal and set perpendicular to the roof.

Now you did say Furuno and I’m running a slightly older Garmin. But if it were me I’d just set it and forget it.
I have the same good experience as you, with the performance of our Garmin Radar. It works perfectly fine installed sitting flat. (ours is on the roof and not on a pedestal, although I like the pedestal mounted ones too). It came with the boat, so I didn't have a voice nor an opinion about how it was installed; I'm just saying it works great at all angles of boat-trim and speed. I can 'see' items close to the bow, mid-range and far off high and low items like storms and flocks of birds. Sitting flat it has a 12.5 degree range above and below mid-point (25 degree total) and with this, it 'sees' all I need.
1688931690556.png

Back