Raise an outboard up a hole

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

got_em_on

Reaction score
Changed props and want to raise the engine up a hole or two. Boat is in the driveway.

Never done it before. Should I attempt it or just have the mechanic do it when they service it?

Thanks

FWIW I do it using "Roman-era leverage" ....

I raise and lower outboards ALL the time and I’ve never used anyone to do it, like with a crane or bucket loader or what have you ...

1) Put boat on trailer, block wheels solidly, lower tongue all the way as low as you can go
2) Have a helper or two handy!
3) Block up the skeg of the OB with hardwood blocks
4) Loosen and remove the 2 top FIXED bolts that go through holes in the OB motor bracket
5) Loosen the2 bottom bolts that ride in the slots on the OB power bracket that affixes to the hull or hull bracket
6) S L O W L Y crank UP on the trailer tongue or jack it up
7) Get 1 FIXED bolt in where needed and then you might need to jostle it to get the others in

Don't have a trailer. Boat is on blocks in driveway. Only access to a trailer is to hire someone.

It sounds like I could block skeg and use a floor jack under the block though?

got_em_on":19ph403c said:
Don't have a trailer. Boat is on blocks in driveway. Only access to a trailer is to hire someone.

It sounds like I could block skeg and use a floor jack under the block though?

I myself would NOT attempt that with a boat on blocks, the lifting movement could disturb the boat as it sits ... your body parts are presently attached and working :shock: ...

I agree with dale. I have done it with a block on a trailer and with a floor jack but the boat was on a rack. If the engine gets stuck for whatever reason or you dont have the correct angle it will most certainly lift the back of the boat up. Rent an engine hoist or ask the neighbors if they have any.

After going to four bladed props, we decided to raise the motors one hole. We learned that the motors would blow out, (begin to cavitate) coming in with a steep following sea. After several trips out, and running the boat in several trim and tab configurations, we opted to move back down to the original hole for the motors. The boat has better low end and mid range torque with the 4-bladed props. We run very heavy on weight and the twin f-150's really like the 4-blades over the stock 3-blades. We lost three mph on the top end. I'll trade that for usable mid range anyday. We made the changes in the driveway on the trailer with a block and floor jack under the skeg on the motor. Sam J.

Back