Ran our new 2520XL today is she propped correctly?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadrise36

Reaction score
2020 2520XL F300 with 65 gallons of fuel, basic safety gear and 300 lbs of crew ran 41kts at 5800rpm WOT does this sound about right to you all?

Thanks in advance for all replies,
John

Deadrise36":v1f46bgx said:
2020 2520XL F300 with 65 gallons of fuel, basic safety gear and 300 lbs of crew ran 41kts at 5800rpm WOT does this sound about right to you all?

Thanks in advance for all replies,
John

I’d be ecstatic with 41kts! I recently repowered my Parker 2520 with a Suzuki DF300apxx and I can’t get close to 41kts at WOT and 6000rpm and the new Suzuki is WAY more powerful then the F225 it replaced.

You must be getting incredible gas mileage?

PS: I also carry a lot of chain, anchors and other gear so my boat is probably quite a bit heavier but even taking that into consideration, your numbers still sound very good to me.

Did you trim the motor up? Are your anticavitation plates on top of the water at speed? Did you have the trim tabs ups? 41 its is pretty good, about 47 mph. I'm at 52 mph (about 45 kts) with twin 200s.

Brent: Tank you for the article, it was a very interesting and informative read.

Mpellet: I was seeing something like 2.8 MPG at 4000 rpm, making 23 kts if I remember correctly; I will confirm soon....I have to admit that my plan to meticulously document my numbers that first time out didn't survive contact with the excitement of running down the river in the new boat....felt like a kid for the first time in ages.

Little John: Sad to say, I have no idea what prop I'm running, will confirm. Than you for the reply.

Antidote: Trimmed about 2/3ds up, tabs retracted, didn't observe cav plate.

Boats 25mi away on the hard while I wait for power to be installed on the new boat lift. Looking forward to getting her home and doing some more testing and tweaking to find best combinations of rpm, trim and tabs for max speed, cruise speed and best fuel economy.

Thanks again to all for you input,
John

Different engine but I had to work to get the proper height of my G2 Etec. It was amazing the difference one hole higher made in the performance. When I finally got it tuned in I am getting 43kts at 5900 rpms. I think with the lower hole setting I was getting a lot more prop slippage, as raising the engine only gave me additional 175rpms but gave 3 kts more speed. Most surprising was the difference in the hole shot with the higher hole mount. Even with 4 divers and all the gear it gets up and gets gone in a hurry. So I would make sure I have the hole height correct before I would start throwing new props at the rig.

wejohns: Ran her again today and I'm still very impressed with economy and speed although she seems sluggish out of the hole....are you using full down trim and tabs on launch? What is working best for you? First boat ever with tabs, looking forward to figuring them out.

Never had a boat that was so engine trim dependent before, seems like every throttle change benefits from some adjustment in engine trim.

Been seeing 2.5-2.8 mpg consistently from 3500-4500, so far very happy with speed and economy.

Still have't seen any weather yet, looking forward to seeing how hard a 2520XL really pounds in a chop. Was able to stay on plane down into high teens with tabs and trim today.

Pulled the Edson wheel knob from the 21' Sea-Mark today and installed it on 2nd station wheel, big improvement.

I was surprised to see how much she maintained way and steering when in neutral, let her coast in then add lots of rudder and a shot of power and you can really get her conform to your plan....looking forward to getting to know her.

Deadrise36":apm2zvvy said:
wejohns: Ran her again today and I'm still very impressed with economy and speed although she seems sluggish out of the hole....are you using full down trim and tabs on launch? What is working best for you? First boat ever with tabs, looking forward to figuring them out.

Never had a boat that was so engine trim dependent before, seems like every throttle change benefits from some adjustment in engine trim.

Been seeing 2.5-2.8 mpg consistently from 3500-4500, so far very happy with speed and economy.

Still have't seen any weather yet, looking forward to seeing how hard a 2520XL really pounds in a chop. Was able to stay on plane down into high teens with tabs and trim today.

Pulled the Edson wheel knob from the 21' Sea-Mark today and installed it on 2nd station wheel, big improvement.

I was surprised to see how much she maintained way and steering when in neutral, let her coast in then add lots of rudder and a shot of power and you can really get her conform to your plan....looking forward to getting to know her.

You’ve got me wondering if I made a mistake repowering with the Suzuki and not going with a Yamaha 300. Your performance #s and fuel economy are astounding to me. Totally blow what I am getting with my Suzuki out of the water. I was really happy and totally impressed what the Suzuki was doing compared to my old Yamaha F225 but your fuel economy and speed that you’re getting with the Yamaha 300 destroy my #s with the 2019 Suzuki 300....

Mpellet: Can't go wrong with a Zuke, love the 115hp on my 21' Sea-Mark.

Here are the numbers from the computer on the 300.

Engine hours: 5.1 (.03 on the meter when I took possession)
Total distance: 60.1 nm
Fuel used: 25.6 gal
Avg MPG: 2.35 mpg

Keep in mind I'm running light load, XL hull; at the end of last trip I was somewhere around 35 gal onboard and the two runs we've made were FAC (flat ass calm) conditions with minimal current.

What kind of number are you seeing on the Zuk? Are you running XL or XLD

Cheers!
John

Deadrise36":3lkh5sl0 said:
Mpellet: Can't go wrong with a Zuke, love the 115hp on my 21' Sea-Mark.

Here are the numbers from the computer on the 300.

Engine hours: 5.1 (.03 on the meter when I took possession)
Total distance: 60.1 nm
Fuel used: 25.6 gal
Avg MPG: 2.35 mpg

Keep in mind I'm running light load, XL hull; at the end of last trip I was somewhere around 35 gal onboard and the two runs we've made were FAC (flat ass calm) conditions with minimal current.

What kind of number are you seeing on the Zuk? Are you running XL or XLD

Cheers!
John

2520xl (16 degree dead rise). I have a LOT of gear on my boat, big deck box loaded with all kinds of chain, anchors etc. I say it weighs over 300lbs and most of the time I have over 50 gallons of fuel, bottom paint and always in the ocean. Best I ever see is 1.9MPG and 35kts is top end. You’ve got me curious, what mine would do light with only 40 gallons on board.
So far about 150 hours I have loved my Suzuki but your numbers are so good, it’s really got me wondering if I made the right call.

Best of luck with the rig and looking forward to more performance reports.

Back