Ray Marine S1000 autopilot

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Striperswiper

Reaction score
I recently installed a S1000 on my 1999 2520.

I hooked it up via Sea Talk to my E80 w/ Raystar125 Gps

Wiring
From 125 -green and red together to a 12v switched and fused connection
yellow to yellow on ap and e80

browns and blacks together

sheilds to ground (no Rf)

I cant' get the AP to follow a track or run any of the preset courses in the AP like circle or clover.

I have the computer mounted under my console and it might be that it's about 1.5 feet from my compass and 8 inchs from my DSM 300 fishfinder

Any ideas?

OK... Looks like the new manual may have the correct info.

When trying to set your pattern for circle, or zig zag, are you;

1) In the FISHING operational mode?

2) in the AUTO mode (not standby), before selecting the fishing pattern you want?

You can't be running along, on standby, scroll to circle and then press pilot. It won't circle.

Try that first before you start monkeying with wires. I wired mine to a Garmin so I can't help you with wire matching to a Ray product...

Good Luck.

When I press the mode key the circle, zig zag and clover modes all blink on and off.

Is yours doing this?

Striperswiper":1a1svk45 said:
When I press the mode key the circle, zig zag and clover modes all blink on and off.

Is yours doing this?

I can't recall. But I don't think mine does that.

If you are in auto mode first, then select the pattern , then press pilot and it starts with that blinking stuff.....my guess it's your wiring.

Here's how I got the S1000 straightened out.

You can't have your E80 hooked to your DSM 300 via seatalk and have the S1000 autopilot hooked up via seatalk also. They interfere with each other and my fish finder wouldn't work and neither would the autopilot.

The fix was to purchase a #8004 NEMA183 cable for the E80 to get NEMA 183 out of the E80 this will be yellow +out and brown- out.

S1000 wiring you have to cut the plug off the end that connects to the E80 and strip back the wires. Orange connects to yellow (+ out) of E80 and blue to brown (- out) of E80.

If you have a different chart plotter the wiring is still orange and blue of the S1000.

1.Ground the blue to any ground make sure the plotter and S1000 are on and that you have a gps signal.
2. Take the orange and hook it one at a time to each of the 4 NEMA wires coming out of your plotter.
3. use the S1000 remote and hit pilot after you connect it to each wire, if you get "no gps fix" you have the wrong wire, try another and repeat until you get " to slow"
4. Connect the orange to whatever color wire gives you the "too slow" message. That's your +out.
5. Take the blue wire and connect it one at a time to each of the remaining 3 wires from your plotter and hit the pilot button as before. When you get "too slow" you found the - out and your unit will work.

Capt Brian

Whaaat? That's unbelievable to me (I believe you, just not Ray), that with all the units they sell, they don't have a wire configuration for their own machines.

I'm sorry but the suggestions I made presumed you had properly wired up.

Glad to hear you got it working. You will love it.

I can confirm Brian's directions. After numerous attempts to figure out why my s1000 would not get a "gps fix", I talked to Brian and followed his advice. I have a Furuno VX2 so my NMEA cable wire colors were different (White is out +; Black is out -). Works perfectly now. Thanks for the help, Brian.

I had a chance to thoroughly test out my s1000 yesterday and I am very impressed! I was out for about 4 hours and about the only time I had to use the steering wheel was when docking the boat. I tested the "track" by making a buoy outside the inlet a waypoint. I set the AP to that waypoint when coming back to the inlet. It hit the waypoint dead on was never off track more than 1/10 of a mile. The zig-zag and circle patterns worked very well. Definitely one of the best investments I have made for my boat.

Back