Read this Crap!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith FDNY

Reaction score
Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season
DEC, Fishing Community Maximize Peak Periods While Complying with Mandate
Forced to comply with strict federal restrictions, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Pete Grannis today announced new limits for summer flounder (fluke) for the upcoming recreational fishing season.

For 2009, the minimum size limit will be 21 inches, compared to 20.5 last year. The bag limit will be two fish, down from four. Additionally, there will be a split season:
Open May 15 - June 15.
Closed June 16 - July 2.
Open July 3 - August 17.
Closed thereafter.

New York has been mandated by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission and the Mid-Atlantic Fisheries Management Council to reduce fluke harvest from last year. To comply with the mandate, DEC convened a series of meetings with the Marine Resources Advisory Council - made up of representatives of the recreational fishing community - to develop options that would protect the historically busiest fluke fishing periods on both the north and south shores of Long Island. Commissioner Grannis said the selected option would maintain a viable fluke fishery for all anglers while ensuring that New York meets the federal requirements.

Federal Lawsuit Over Fluke Management
Commissioner Grannis pointed out that in 2008 New York filed a federal lawsuit challenging the methods and data used to manage coastal fluke populations. The lawsuit claims that the National Marine Fisheries Service violated federal law by using outdated and scientifically unreliable data to establish fluke harvest limits along the Atlantic Coast, resulting in inequitable treatment of New York anglers. For example, in 2008 an angler on the New York side of Raritan Bay could land four fluke per day with each fish measuring at least 20.5 inches long while someone on the New Jersey side of the bay could land eight fluke at only 18 inches long.

New York is prepared to quickly make adjustments to the fluke season and bag limits in the event that the court renders a favorable decision this season, the commissioner said.

"These are difficult times for our saltwater anglers and the fishing industry overall," Commissioner Grannis said. "The limits that we have set - with the input of the fishing community - are not ideal but are the best compromise for all of New York's anglers under the severe federal restrictions. While making the adjustments for 2009, we will continue to use all available means to ensure that New York's anglers are not placed at a disadvantage by unfair federal requirements."
Outdoor Recreation Animals, Plants, Aquatic Life Chemical & Pollution Control Energy and Climate Lands and Waters Education Permits and Licenses Public Involvement and News News Press Releases Federal Restrictions Force Changes in N.Y. Fluke Season Regulations and Enforcement Publications, Forms, Maps About DEC Contact for this Page: Press Office - Yancey Roy
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-1016
518-402-8000
email us Privacy Policy | Website Usage and Policies | Website Accessibility | Employment | Contact Us
Copyright © 2009 New York State Department of Environmental Conservation

We got whacked here in RI this year also Keith. Our season is from June 17 to December 31 with a 6 bag at 21". The problem is that there are no Fluke after middle of Sept. so what good is the long season? Sucks

It really stinks with all the rules they make,it like when you want to have fun and go out they slam you with these laws,and like New Jersey rules are different.They should just make it across the board and meet in the middle with this.I heard through the grape fine that next season here in N.Y. your going to have to get a fishing permit and everyone that is on your boat with have to have a valid 1 as well.I guess it just another bloody stinking way for them to make $$ Money!!! I guess they really mean it when the say what the word boat means!!!

Bring
On
Another
Thousand

And that is the Freaking truth!!!

Thats right Parker23, my fillet knife has no closed season either. In RI there is not a "No Fillet" law in effect so we clean our fish out on the boat.

Yes i cant agrue that at all,I use the Fillet and release program!!!HaHaHa hey man times are bad we all need to eat!!HaHa LMAO!!!

My biggest gripe with these new regs is New York opened May 15th and shut down on June 16th and Conn. opened June 15th. So there was only one day that Connecticut fishermen could legally bring back fluke to Ct. and that was June 15th. We were legal to fluke fish in New York waters, but could not bring them back to Ct. legally prior to June 15th. On June 15th three of us went over from Ct. and caught an 8.95# (28.5inch), 6.74# and 6.78#(25 and 26 inch) and a 23 inch and a 22 inch. fluke. So there are alot of big fish to be had. I don't keep undersize fish ever, I have enough big fish to eat and give away but I spend alot of time and gas $$ doing it. The good news is NY fluke season opens again Friday the 3rd of July and Ct. is also open. The Ct. side is producing alot of 5-9 lbrs. if you spend enough time and gas on finding the fish. Another gripe I have is Ct. selling salt water fishing licenses when the governor hasn't even signed it into law. What about the suckers like me that bought the license before they put a halt to the sale of them. From what I'm seeing personally from many fishermen is that these regs that don't make alot of sense are causing a good share of fishermen who always used to obey the regs start to rebel and violate regs. IMO Long Island Sound waters should have the same regs on the Ct. side and the North shore of LI. Make the south shore different, but LI sound is an inland body of water and should be handled differently. But make the best of it and catch'm up!

Latest posts

Back