Rebirth of a Classic Parker-2000 2520 MV Yamaha 300 Repower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbigma

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a “rebirth” more than a repower, since it involved a lot more than just the Outboard.

I decided to repower last year for two reasons, 1.) I was too busy to do any of it myself (therefore I knew it would get done quickly :roll: ) and 2.) My OX66 225 was working well (quit while I was ahead). The 2000 Model year 2 Stroke Yamaha was probably only 3/4 way into it’s design life, but our season is so short I can’t afford any down-time when I get dive-time. The older she got, the closer I would get to some down-time. :cry:

So by having the re-power done by my local Yamaha dealer during the snowiest winter in Boston history, I was sure that the work would get done un-interrupted, and I’d get the crew’s full attention during an otherwise very slow period for them. We have been doing business with this local dealer since 1972, so we know the crew very well.

First I had to chop her butt out of the snowbank she was frozen into to get her into a nice warm shop.

snowbank.jpg

For the repower I went with an Offshore 300, since the weight of a 300 is the same as for the 250, so why not? I know the Yamaha 4-strokes like higher Octane, but I don’t burn so much fuel in a season that I’m concerned about a few cents more per gallon for the higher Octane fuel. 6 Year Warranty.

300crated.jpg

While we were at it, I decided it would be silly to not replace the fuel tank. I had no issues with leaking fuel, but the tank was 15 years old. I wanted to have this repower last at least another 15 or 20 years, and I knew I couldn’t expect the original tank to go that far. We also converted to hydraulic steering.

With the deck removed, and fuel tank out. All foam on the sides and undersides of the tank was bone dry.
TankVaultcloseup.jpg

Digging out all the old foam was a slow dusty process, thankfully I was too busy to help :roll: :roll:
TankvaultOverheaad.jpg

The old fuel tank was in great shape with no signs of corrosion. Probably could have pushed it another five or more years,,,….

OldTank.jpg

The Parker Factory was very helpful providing a stringer layout and fuel tank shop drawing for my hull. I sent the shop drawing to a fabricator in New Jersey, and had a new tank custom-welded.

TankInstall.jpg

While they had the OX66 off the transom, we explored the entire expanse with a moisture meter and found no evidence of water intrusion.
Peace of Mind. I also had the scupper tubes removed and replaced.
Transom.jpg

New last year from Yamaha, new style digital gauges are offered in the original round style, as a direct drop-in replacement for the old round-style OEM. Up until this year, they only offered the “square” model or a single 4 “ display, either option would have required some re-fitting of fiberglass on the console.

Guages.jpg

After following the various projects on ClassicParker concerning deck non-skid and painting/refinishing techniques, I opted for the factory method.

I opted for the original Parker gel-coat with a non-skid finish.
FreshDeck.jpg

Finished Deck. A thing of beauty, ready for another 20 years of service.

For a touch of bling I added an Edson Powerwheel to my new hydraulic steering system.
Oh, and I also removed the original helm seat and substituted a leaning/tractor-seat model that I use like a leaning post (99% of the time) but still lets the Admiral sit if she needs to. I never sit at the helm and this replacement was on my list for a few years.

I tried the Todd single leaning post, but it wound up too close to the helm, and I didn't want to relocate the pedestal. So I took a different tack and butchered a stock Bass Pro Shop model, replaced the OEM squishy foam with rigid Jim-Buoy closed cell foam, and made a new cover. Put the whole seat assembly back on the adjustable stock Parker slide frame.
NewPerch.jpg

So now she has new power, controls, fuel tank, deck, hydraulic steering, seat, wheel, and scupper tubes.

Why so extensively refit a 15-year old Parker instead of trading up to a newer Model? Because IMHO they simply don’t make a better dive boat in this size class. The 14 degree deadrise of my 2520MV which is the bane of other ClassicParker owners of this model who chase Tuna offshore makes this particular hull the most stable diving platform Parker has ever produced.

While at anchor we can have a crew of fully-clad divers waltzing around in the spacious cockpit without pitching the rest of the crew overboard. My older “Classic” MV model also has a less freeboard, which puts divers closer to the water upon entry, and makes lifting gear and catch onboard easier as well.

The hull is quick to a plane and is fuel-efficient with a single. All the features that made Linwood’s original design a solid working platform for commercial fishing suits Divers just fine. So this is truly my last boat; one that has been a proven performer for us, a trusted member of our family for many years, and worthy of fitting up for the next 20 years.

Very nice summary of your project. I am very happy to hear your tank was in such good shape. I have a 1998 2520 DV and and I know one of these days the tank will need to be replaced. You will love having the four stroke. I replaced my 250 Ox 66 in 2005 with a 250 Suzuki and am very pleased. You have a great rig there and should be very proud of it. I plan on having my old girl for a long time to come.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

I'm just glad that with all the poking and prodding, ripping and tearing apart, that nothing nasty was uncovered and she has many more years of life in her.

John

Hi - I just repowered with F300 for the same hull (2520 MVSC) also a notch. Just curious which hole you mounted your install? I'm currently 2nd from the top but have yet to run the boat. My former OX66 was also 2nd hole from the top.

I'm running a 15 3/4 x 15 Yamaha SSII SDS prop per this recommendation:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15098&hilit=f300+prop

Nice job with the rebirth of a classic Parker.

Excellent project post!

Your re-power is exactly how I want to mine someday, (tho I'm not wishing any ill will on my still strong OX66).
When the day comes, I will also replace the main tank, and remove the two wing tanks that have not been used since 2004.
Why carry all that extra weight if I'm never going to use those tanks again? :wink:

One other thing I would like to do is to replace the current narrow Stainless Marine bracket and fabricated swim platform with a modern one piece bracket platform which would entail evaluating the transom as well.
The fact that your tank foam was dry after all these years makes me feel a little better about my 1996 model.

Your reasons for liking the older 14 degree MVSC over the newer models mirror my own thoughts, especially the lower freeboard.
The difference in washboard height becomes readily apparent when you park next to a (current) 16 degree XL hull.

Congratulations and good luck with the upgrades!

Attachments

• 005Rear view.jpg
    005Rear view.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 410
  • Photo Library - 317.jpg
    Photo Library - 317.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 410
jpg1969":12w4h5x6 said:
Hi - I just repowered with F300 for the same hull (2520 MVSC) also a notch. Just curious which hole you mounted your install? I'm currently 2nd from the top but have yet to run the boat. My former OX66 was also 2nd hole from the top.

I also went through a series of props when I repowered and seemed to land on the 15 3/4 x 15 prop as well. I would be curious to see some of the performance numbers based on the 15 1/4 x17 prop to see how it compares to my experience proping

jpg1969":3awawf5x said:

Hi Jim,

Kept the motor in the same hole position as the old 225. Seems to be the right fit. That puts the cav plate skimming the surface while on plane.

Maybe I will try the 15 3/4 X 15 prop this summer....

Also have to generate a table of fuel efficiency #'s etc... now that she is broken in.

John

Megabyte":19gg10wf said:
Excellent project post!

Your re-power is exactly how I want to mine someday, (tho I'm not wishing any ill will on my still strong OX66).
When the day comes, I will also replace the main tank, and remove the two wing tanks that have not been used since 2004.
Why carry all that extra weight if I'm never going to use those tanks again? :wink:

One other thing I would like to do is to replace the current narrow Stainless Marine bracket and fabricated swim platform with a modern one piece bracket platform which would entail evaluating the transom as well.
The fact that your tank foam was dry after all these years makes me feel a little better about my 1996 model.

Your reasons for liking the older 14 degree MVSC over the newer models mirror my own thoughts, especially the lower freeboard.
The difference in washboard height becomes readily apparent when you park next to a (current) 16 degree XL hull.

Congratulations and good luck with the upgrades!

Thanks Kevin. I spent a long time on the decision, since the OX66 was still performing well. It came down to doing the project in a controlled and complete fashion, rather than having to rush through just a quick engine swap because the OX66 quit mid-season. And I wanted to do it before I retired. 8)

She handles like a whole new rig, mostly because I now have power steering :) and more boom in the back. WOT is still 44 mph for me, the same "hull design max" seen by others. The most welcome change in performance is from the extra HP, on those windy afternoons when we have to tab down and run into the slop on the way home. Big Difference. :shock:

You'll have peace of mind when you get a visual inside of your tank vaults too, and confirmation that all is well. It sounds like when the time comes for Megabyte to be re-powered she'll have a few other items on the punch list as well! :wink:

moose8420":1sdk39jx said:
jpg1969":1sdk39jx said:

I also went through a series of props when I repowered and seemed to land on the 15 3/4 x 15 prop as well. I would be curious to see some of the performance numbers based on the 15 1/4 x17 prop to see how it compares to my experience proping

I will assemble some performance numbers early on in the season,, now you have me curious about the prop...... :D

cbigma":3rljf3xl said:
WOT is still 44 mph for me, the same "hull design max" seen by others. The most welcome change in performance is from the extra HP, on those windy afternoons when we have to tab down and run into the slop on the way home. Big Difference. :shock:

You'll have peace of mind when you get a visual inside of your tank vaults too, and confirmation that all is well. It sounds like when the time comes for Megabyte to be re-powered she'll have a few other items on the punch list as well! :wink:

Ah yes... "terminal velocity" of the MVSC hull. We have preached it here in the past, and it still holds true.

My punch list is way too long brother. :D

moose8420":jacwdgyk said:
jpg1969":jacwdgyk said:

First set of performance numbers... on the 15 1/4 X 17 prop. 10-15 mph wind, slight chop,,, FULL Tank of fuel (125 gals) 2 Adults. Will re-visit once I burn down some fuel.

RPM(00)Mph____Gph____Mpg
20 ____10 _____3.4_____2.9
25 ____11______5______2.5
30_____15_____6.9_____2.3
35_____24_____8.8_____2.7
40_____28_____11.3____2.3
44_____30_____14.1____2.1
45_____32_____14.9____1.8
51_____38_____21.8____1.8
55_____42_____26.2

Back