Recommendations for trolling motor on 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonas grumby

Reaction score
The Boss-lady wants to get me a trolling motor for Christmas. Most of my fishing is for reds and speckled trout in relatively skinny water. My platform is an 1801 & I am currently thinking about the Minn Kota SP 55 w/ i-pilot. I plan to mount the battery in the PORT jump-seat. Any suggestions are appreciated. Have a great Thanksgiving!

You will be disappointed in 55lbs You need 24v and 70lbs minimum. I would be looking at the Minn Kota Riptide SP 70/i-Pilot. You may also want to spend a few extra dollars and get a longer shaft. I know the 60" works but if there is chop you may need a 72".

Ditto on 24v. 55lbs of thrust won't cut it in ripping current.

I have a RipTide RT 80 / ST/ CoPilot / AP with a 60 inch shaft. Chop is not a problem with someone in the bow. I wish I had sprung for the iPilot model for the spot lock feature.

Two batteries and charger are in the console. I ran six gauge cable forward and up fuel chase to the bow. I suggest using a quick disconnect mount (I swap the motor between 1801 and my duck boat).

I have the riptide 80 with 60" shaft and it is perfect even in strong current.

windknotnc":1old8cmy said:
You will be disappointed in 55lbs You need 24v and 70lbs minimum. I would be looking at the Minn Kota Riptide SP 70/i-Pilot. You may also want to spend a few extra dollars and get a longer shaft. I know the 60" works but if there is chop you may need a 72".

Scott - I'm wondering how well that 70 lb riptide worked on your previous 21SE, would it manage against some light wind and current, or only push it during slack tide?

THANKS

It would move the boat but needed a 72" shaft because the 60" would cavitate. It really needed 112# thrust but that would have moved to 36v

I've been using a bow mounted Minn Kota ST80 (60" shaft) with iPilot for a couple of years. The ST80 moves the boat easily (3-5 knots) even into a good tidal current. The 60" shaft is plenty long enough - in fact, I could move the motor down another 10" or 12" if needed.

I recommend the Stealth charger, manually switched breaker in the console and THE iPILOT OPTION. This is worth 2X what they get for it… especially if you want to fish instead of driving the boat.

EDIT: Definitely move the batteries to the console. I have THREE batteries - two for the ST80 and accessories and one dedicated for starting. In the console they are close to charge controller, dry and help balance the boat.

Latest posts

Back