Removing pen marks from vinyl?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for removing some pen marks from my vinyl bench? My friend was taking down some prop numbers for me while I was at the helm and somehow managed to get some blue pen on my bench. I tried 3M vinyl cleaner, but it had no effect. Any tricks to getting this stuff off? Thanks!

#1 - Hairspray aerosol- cheap and readily available
#2 - Lift Off brand - Graffiti Remover, available at Home Depot
#3 - Mr. Clean, Magic Eraser

If it is ball-point ink, I don't have a good solution. That stuff is really difficult to remove.

If felt tip, try rubbing alchohol - you may by surprised. It removes permanent "Sharpy" ink from Parker gel-coat with ease....Never tried it on vinyl.

A fellow here at work swears by some sort of CopperTone tanning/screening product for permanent markers such as Sharpie pens. You may want to try a sample on a similar surface first. You would hate to discover that a product actually helped to "CURE" a stain :shock:

I'd try a little liquid bleach.

Wipe it on with a moistened towel and let it sit for a few minutes.
The ink should disappear before your eyes.

Megabyte":ud12f10l said:
I'd try a little liquid bleach.

Wipe it on with a moistened towel and let it sit for a few minutes.
The ink should disappear before your eyes.

Kevin, do you clean everything with bleach? :shock:

8) 8) 8)

96TL":90dk8y23 said:
Kevin, do you clean everything with bleach? :shock:

Not everything... :shock: but I always keep a gallon on the boat.
I use it a lot on the boat. :D

Okay. I tried bleach, hairspray, and Magic Eraser. Nothing helped! This is some super heavy duty ink!

Any other ideas? :cry:

96TL":32ci50fy said:
Okay. I tried bleach, hairspray, and Magic Eraser. Nothing helped! This is some super heavy duty ink!

Any other ideas? :cry:

Wow. My last idea is Lift Off - Graffiti remover. Available at Home Depot.
Lift Off makes several different products. Make sure it's the graffiti remover. They make a great product. They may even make a pen and ink remover but I've been using the graffiti remover for all "ink" related applications and it works very well.

Okay. I'll look for it tonight. What section of Home Depot do they usually keep it in? Near the household cleaners?

I tried the Lift-Off "Pen, Ink & Marker Graffiti Remover" Didn't work. I'll buy the Lift-Off "Spray Paint Remover" and try that instead.

If that doesn't work, I'll try acetone I guess.

After that, I give up.

Back