Replacing cuddy/cabinet doors .......... circa 1991

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of having phase 2 of my restoration done on my boat. It's a 1991 2110 WA. This past winter/spring, I repaired all the holes in the fiberglass (thanks to the previous owner), compounded down the finish to remove some weather stains/oxidation (to restore hull) and replaced all the graphics. I also added a few goodies including a beautiful hard top (thanks to T-Tops, Etc out of DE).

This winter, I am moving on to some other odds and ends. Priority number 1 on the list is replacing all the wood work. Not sure if it was original (I believe it to be), but my boat has natural wood trim along the floor along with wood trimmed cabinets next to each helm chair. These cabinets have plexiglass front on them and are in REALLY poor condition. Same goes for the door into the cuddy.

Not the best picture, but you can kind of make them out here:

Boatseats1.jpg

The wood is in poor shape. It's obviously been painted over in a gloss black by the previous owner but the wood underneath is swollen/cracked and generally weathered.

When I dropped the boat off this weekend to get a couple things worked on, I asked the mechanic (friend of a friend) if they did this type of work. He said they did and he recommended starboard. My father (partner in the boat) and I stated we'd like to keep it "stock" as much as possible by replacing it with wood - and we opted for an oak color versus the painted black. I don't know what color was original.

Anyhow, he called me today and said each door (in materials alone) would cost roughly $500 as it's a kit that is used to build louvered doors. This doesn't include the labor to actually put them together. He was shocked by the price as was I.

He again recommended starboard saying it was FAR more resilient than wood (I understand this) and can be shaped just like wood. Personallly, I am afraid I wouldn't get the detail I would with wood or that it would look like a medicine cabinet (or cheap plastic). This may be far from the truth.

I guess my question is what are my options? Obviously cost is a concern and I feel $500/door x 3 doors + labor is quite excessive. My mechanic said there are plenty of options he could look into that would be far cheaper in terms of material costs and installation ease.

He was going to call Parker directly and I told him I would check in with a very knowledgable group of people (that would be you all - lol) to see what others have done.

Any links or ideas would be appreciated. If someone has done something similar and wouldn't mind shooting me a PM with some info/rough idea of price - I would definately love to get a better understanding of it.

Thanks in advance.

Will

Do yourself a favor and replace the wood with starboard, Dale might ban me off the site but it will make things much easier in the future, you want to use the boat, not maintain teak.

Parker may make starboard components that fit that model, a call to the factory might be in order. Worth a shot, $500 for a door is insane.

Yeah, I think starboard is the way to go for sure. I was initially against it simply for replacing existing with the same - however, the benifits to it (and cost) seem to far outweigh it.

Now to see what my options are .....

l opted for a starboard type material for the frames of my two side compartments and kept the plexi glass bi-folding doors. It turned out OK but I wish I had used starboard. I used a product we use in the construction industry called Azec. It comes in 4x8 sheets and costs half as much as Starboard.

As far as my cabin door I was able to salvage the frame of the door but replaced all of the flat wood panels with black plexi glass. It turned out fine.

Like you I want to keep as much original wood on the boat as I can but I don't want to spend ALL of my time maintaining it.

BTW- that hard top looks GREAT. I am seriously jealous but I am happy with that nice blue Bimini for now. 8)

Wayne

Hi Guys,

I have a 1991 2520DVSC and it has a teak wood cabin door and a teak bow pulpit, I love teak! but only on the interior and all my spearguns. I am in the process of removing both of them and replacing the door w/ 1" black plastic and I will probably use the pulpit for a mould to build one out of glass. I think the black plastic will match well w/ the black trim around all the windows. The maintenance of exterior wood is crazy! It is very pretty, I'll give you that, and Dale's boat is the pinnicle of teak wood work, but I just won't have it!

I say go for the changeout!

Scotty

My hardtop was also done by Fritz from T-Tops in Delaware and I am very happy with the workmanship and quality of the product. The top heavy duty, I can walk on it, plus it holds my radar and life raft. I did have him upgrade the aluminum tubing to a larger size (based on his recommendation) because the boat is used offshore a lot. You can check out my photos if you want.

Back