Replacing fuel tank on 2002 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brent, I have seen that article – it seems to be referenced quite a bit. I was intending to follow those instructions, but I am concerned about the V-shape of the tank not providing a large enough base. I was able to obtain the actual diagram of my tank from the manufacturer and it looks like there is only a 13” base. And I am also not sure how much space there would be between the bottom of the tank and the bottom of the bilge to install the deck. If anyone has used this method on their Parker I please let me know how it went, at this time it looks like I’ll be reinstalling the same way Parker did. I guess another option would be to replace with a smaller tank, but that seems like a bad idea in case I ever decide to sell.

Brent, I've looked everything over really well several times hoping to find a leaky hose or connection. There is not much to check. Also the gas is draining from a space that I have no access to, and apparently from a part of the tank that would have no hoses or connections. I'd like to take a better look from the inside, but I'm pretty sure there is a leak, and don't want to add anything extra to the cost of this repair.

Here's a thougth from someone who has no idea how to advise you!! Before I went about cutting, prying or pulling anything I think I would replace every hose and connector on the tank, replace the gasket on the sender unit and see if it still leaks. If it doesn't you have solved the problem and if it does you can use all the new connectors, clamps, and hoses with the replacement tank anyway. Just a FWIT thought.

Just a little tip , when I did my replacement I made a foam rake . Take a piece of 1/2 metal conduit and flatten 1 end, hacksaw some vee notches to simulate a rake then bend the end 90 degrees about 1 inch from the end. This will help get down along the stringers to get the foam out. Also I support cutting the deck over the center line of the stringers. Use a very small drill and drill holes about 1/4 inch apart going across the top of the stringers perpendicular to prove that they are where the drawing claims them to be , you will feel the difference when you drill into the stringer, then layout the width on the deck for a guide. Good Luck. take your time , cutting the deck is the most stressful part.

I’m getting ready to replace my leaking fuel tank, and would appreciate any advice on how to go about it. I need to buy some tools to cut the deck out, and I am not sure if a circular saw or a sawzall will work best. Eric Denton at Parker sent me the stringer schematics and from what I can tell it looks like the tank takes up almost the entire space between the stringers and a forward bulkhead; so I will need to cut just inside the stringers and forward bulkhead. After I get the deck off is it just a matter of cutting, scraping, and digging out the foam until I can access the brackets that secure the tank to the stringers? Once the brackets are unbolted how difficult is it to lift the tank out? Also if the tank looks good (maybe a cracked weld or pinhole) can it be repaired? It sounds like a new tank is about $1,000 - so if possible I’d like to repair it. The boat is a 2002 2320 with a 150 gallon fuel tank.
Replaced my tank in my 2001 23DVCC IN 2016 The tank had many corrosion holes, I had it done Professionally, cost 7K, they moved the Console forward for easier access. The original tanks are not very heavy Guage and not coated.

Replaced my tank in my 2001 23DVCC IN 2016 The tank had many corrosion holes, I had it done Professionally, cost 7K, they moved the Console forward for easier access. The original tanks are not very heavy Guage and not coated.

Attachments

• Resized_20161021_133402(1).jpeg
    Resized_20161021_133402(1).jpeg
    922.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Resized_20161021_133052.jpeg
    Resized_20161021_133052.jpeg
    745.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Resized_20161021_133114.jpeg
    Resized_20161021_133114.jpeg
    796.8 KB · Views: 63
My tank on a 2001 2110WA is being done by a boat yard. Full of pin holes on the left from side. I replaced all of the hoses and resealed the sending unit. It will be expensive but I was relieved that it was indeed the tank and I wasn’t throwing money down the drain.

Attachments

• 20B44E36-CDA9-4236-9DA8-287EF9372EE8.jpeg
    20B44E36-CDA9-4236-9DA8-287EF9372EE8.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 38
My tank on a 2001 2110WA is being done by a boat yard. Full of pin holes on the left from side. I replaced all of the hoses and resealed the sending unit. It will be expensive but I was relieved that it was indeed the tank and I wasn’t throwing money down the drain.
Looks as bad as my old tank.

Just a little tip , when I did my replacement I made a foam rake . Take a piece of 1/2 metal conduit and flatten 1 end, hacksaw some vee notches to simulate a rake then bend the end 90 degrees about 1 inch from the end. This will help get down along the stringers to get the foam out. Also I support cutting the deck over the center line of the stringers. Use a very small drill and drill holes about 1/4 inch apart going across the top of the stringers perpendicular to prove that they are where the drawing claims them to be , you will feel the difference when you drill into the stringer, then layout the width on the deck for a guide. Good Luck. take your time , cutting the deck is the most stressful part.
For those of you who did the tank removal yourself, did you have to deal with nails holding the decking down on the stringers. I would ideally like to cut on or past the stringers to have a ledge to rest the deck back down on, but at least on the 2320 I was told the nails made that a PITA. So they recommended cutting on the inside of the structural members then adding ledgers or brackets after the fact.

Thoughts?

For those of you who did the tank removal yourself, did you have to deal with nails holding the decking down on the stringers. I would ideally like to cut on or past the stringers to have a ledge to rest the deck back down on, but at least on the 2320 I was told the nails made that a PITA. So they recommended cutting on the inside of the structural members then adding ledgers or brackets after the fact.

Thoughts?
2001 23DVCC tank replacement in 2016

Attachments

• 20161021_133356.jpg
    20161021_133356.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20161021_133052.jpg
    20161021_133052.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Disregard Key Largo, thanks. After zooming in I can see the nails. Was it a pain to lift the decking with it nailed in place? Would it be easier to cut on the inside to avoid the nails then install ledgers/brackets after?

Disregard Key Largo, thanks. After zooming in I can see the nails. Was it a pain to lift the decking with it nailed in place? Would it be easier to cut on the inside to avoid the nails then install ledgers/brackets after?
I did not do the work myself. Markys Marine in Key Largo replaced the tank.

Back