Replacing gas tank

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBL

Reaction score
Anyone have infomation on replacing a gas tank on an 2000 23 DV CC. How difficult is this, pricing?

Anyone have infomation on replacing a gas tank on an 2000 23 DV CC. How difficult is this, pricing?

Before this inflation cycle, a ball park guestimate would be $6000ish, that’s cutting the deck, old tank removal, new tank fabrication, new tank installed and the deck glassed back in.

Area of the country, old fuel removal would all impact the price but I think $6000 would put you in the ball park. These days, with the price of everything blowing up, I wince just thinking about the cost…

Thanks, I was thinking around $6K but you are right everything is going up at an alarming rate.

Thanks, I was thinking around $6K but you are right everything is going up at an alarming rate.

Are you 1000% sure that it’s the tank and not the sending unit gasket or a hose??

In process of replacing my tank now in my 21se. (Posted on this site) Labor costs are up some but the cost of aluminum is more. I was quoted $16 to $20 per gallon to make a new tank. Haven’t finalized it yet but it is what it is. I’m figuring total cost for the job 7k to 8k.

Are you 1000% sure that it’s the tank and not the sending unit gasket or a hose??
Thought my tank was bad...was a 40 cent stripped bolt on the sending unit. Glad I checked this board before putting a saw into the deck...

Raised my trailer wench to get the bow up and discovered the leak was at the sending unit...WHEW!!!!

Thanks to that previous post on this board!

Going through this right now. I’m going to be 7200-7500 for a 2520 What a pain. Tank had several pin holes and quite a bit of fuel underneath. It was way worse then I expected. Hoping to have the boat back in time for spring. I’m in South Jersey. If your close PM and I can forward some of the estimates I received.

I'm in central VA and in the process of replacing my 100 gallon tank and a section of the floor. I'll likely have $4k in materials alone invested by the time non-skid is applied. Tank was $14 a gallon built to original specs. Marine ply is $140 a sheet for 3/4" as of a few weeks ago. 1708 is ~$13 a yard shipped. Price of resin will depend on what you use. Throw in another $1000 for misc items (paint/gel coat, adhesives, hoses, foam, sandpaper, gloves, brushes/rollers, etc.). Not sure about labor costs but thatll give you a ballpark for materials. It's a time consuming job so I'd get started ASAP if you want to be on the water anytime soon.

Reactions: Efx
It takes a lot of time and many accessory materials. Hoses, clamps, wire, wood, starboard, sealant, fasteners, neoprene, resin, glass fabric, saw blades, etc. then there is the derigging and rerigging. I’m on month three and almost done. Cost was an issue but more than that, I didn’t find anyone that was interested in doing the job, and if they were they would do it poorly. I did find people who wanted to sell me a new boat! Forget that.

82C6F7DB-E8A8-424E-861D-1522604308FC.jpegCEB8756C-09E0-4C79-9454-C86934923A93.jpegF988EFF7-F54A-44E8-B4C4-06C209F8AAAB.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the information, It is really helpful. I have been looking for a parker and was looking at a 2000 so was concerned on the cost of replacing the tank.

Thanks everyone for the information, It is really helpful. I have been looking for a parker and was looking at a 2000 so was concerned on the cost of replacing the tank.
I'd scoop up a 23DV if I were you. They don't make them like they used to...

It takes a lot of time and many accessory materials. Hoses, clamps, wire, wood, starboard, sealant, fasteners, neoprene, resin, glass fabric, saw blades, etc. then there is the derigging and rerigging. I’m on month three and almost done. Cost was an issue but more than that, I didn’t find anyone that was interested in doing the job, and if they were they would do it poorly. I did find people who wanted to sell me a new boat! Forget that.

View attachment 32506View attachment 32507View attachment 32508
I've followed a lot of CP tank replacements over the years. and I've always been amazed at the skill-level of the folks here on CP. (a tank replacement is beyond my skill-level).... It looks like yours had the least amount of cockpit flooring-removal that I've seen; your tank is long, lean and deep!

I've followed a lot of CP tank replacements over the years. and I've always been amazed at the skill-level of the folks here on CP. (a tank replacement is beyond my skill-level).... It looks like yours had the least amount of cockpit flooring-removal that I've seen; your tank is long, lean and deep!

Thanks, I measured about 15 times, then used a centerline and offset approach. The tank and stringers are not perfectly parallel either which made it tricky. After a few pilot holes I snapped lines and set the radial saw 1/16 above the interior deck skin. More photos soon. OP you can search my threads if you want to see the process. There are many ways.

I'd scoop up a 23DV if I were you. They don't make them like they used to...
ANYFISH I’m in Richmond too. Who built your fuel tank?going to start cutting out the floor. What model boat do you have? I’m trying to make sure I cut the right area. Dis you use a drawing for your cutout?

ANYFISH I’m in Richmond too. Who built your fuel tank?going to start cutting out the floor. What model boat do you have? I’m trying to make sure I cut the right area. Dis you use a drawing for your cutout?
Richmond Steel. Send me a PM and I'll give you info for who to contact. I have a 96 21DV CC and can provide the schematics from Parker, if needed. You can also measure to the stringers from the inspection plates, there should be a large enough gap from the top of the tank to the floor.

Latest posts

Back