Replacing my batteries

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Matt

Reaction score
I removed both my batteries from my 23SE last fall and now need to replace them. They were four years old and I felt better replacing them. I don't have a radar but I run my FF, chartplotter, VHF, and stereo. My motor is a F200 and last year I only put 46 hours on my boat.
------
What type of batteries should I be looking at? I have a battery switch and usually alternate between positions 1 and 2. Do I want deep cycle? Gel?
------
I did a search on this but the thread I found went off on some tangent and I was confused. But then again, anything shiny gets me distracted!!!

I strongly advise against deep cycles unless you have a lot of "house" requirements. When they go dead, they are VERY difficult to bring back to life. Get a couple of good cranking batteries.

My 2320 came factory with 2 24 series batteries, too small. I think they were Eastern.
Group 27 is what I think they should be installing.
I put 2 group 31s
I'de rather have too much than not enough !

I run 2 Interstate Group 29's. I dont like manually switching batteries and I've had issues where a low battery causes my electronics to drop out on an engine start so Im getting away from the 1-both-2 switch. Im going to try out one of those BlueSea setups with a switch that isolates house and start batteries and uses a charging relay. We'll see how it works this year.

I have a pair of Group 27 Optima AGM batteries in mine right now. They are going on their 5th year without a hint of trouble.
I plan on replacing them next year with a pair of Group 31 Lifeline AGM's as I have plans to (eventually) add radar.

I am sold on AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries. 8)

I have radar, FF, and GPS/chart. We fish for croaker at night, and often stay on the hook until dawn. Lots of drain. I had problems with the OEM group 27 house side battery (starboard battery for starboard motor) keeping up. So...I went to group 31. No more problems.

See my post in the projects forum for installing the new battery trays to handle the larger batteries and moving the many wires connected to each battery to large terminals on the transom and then connecting the terminals on the transom to the batteries with a single large jumper.

Dave

aka

I have a 21se and it came with 2 group 29 batteries that are both deep cycle.

I have a battery switch and always keep it on the "BOTH" setting and have never had a problem. My last boat had the same set-up, and I left the switch on "BOTH" as well for 8 seasons.

My current batteries are Interstate, and on their 5th season and are doing fine.

General guidance is to not keep the switch in the BOTH position for any length of time. Always want to keep at least one battery off line so if there is a short that kills one, you can at least get the motor started and get home.

Most guys I know, and most of the reading on TidalFish and TheHullTruth indicates that they alternate (postion 1 on odd days, position 2 on even days). Some folks run to the fishing grounds in BOTH, and then once there use position 1 or 2.

I have twins and two batteries, so each motor has its own battery. I NEVER go to the BOTH position, unless one battery won't start and engine and I need the juice from both to get going. Once the motor is running, I switch it back to its dedicated battery. I had to do this multiple times with the OEM group 27 batteries, but haven't had to do that with the newer group 31 batteries. I also learned to keep the cable connectors cleaned more often...that really solved a lot of battery problems.

Dave

aka

Latest posts

Back