Replacing wiper arms?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky John

Reaction score
Seems like the little bump on both wiper arms are worn down and now my wiper blades have fallen off the last couple of trips. How do you get the arms off? I see there is a nut on the threaded sleeve but not sure how to attempt it. Thanks for any help

If they are the same as mine there should be a set screw that holds the knuckle to the spline shaft. You may need to spray a bit of PB blaster in and around and let it penetrate overnight. To remove the knuckle try channel locks and wiggle while pulling. If that does not work you will have to use a battery cable removal tool modified to center and sit on the shaft through the hole in the center of the knuckle. Best thing to do when reinstalling is to, a) use anti-seize on the shaft before reinstalling and b) remove the plastic cover. It does noting but make it look pretty and hold saltwater in there and makes life difficult later on.

I am going down to boat later. Will bring PB Blaster and look for that set screw. If I can find that short piece with the nipple on it that would save me $$ and aggravation

I had the same problem in the first couple months with my 2018 2510.......... tightened the set screw (allen wrench) where the wiper arm attaches to the wiper motor splined shaft a few times but it kept happening. Finally figured out the insert in the wiper arm that goes over the splined shaft on the wiper motor was a soft metal (pot metal I think) and that was the culprit. After getting replacement arms from Parker the problem continued to happen.

So, getting tired of having them stop working when I really needed them I did a permanent fix. I took the arms off and put some JB Weld on the splined shaft on the wiper motor shaft and put it back together. Good news is I have not had the problem since............ bad news is if I have to remove the wiper arm for any reason I'm probably going to have to cut it off the wiper motor shaft and replace wiper motor along with the arm.

Not your optimal solution, but wanted a solution that would keep me from losing the wipers on a 65 mile run back from the Gulf Stream.

I had the same problem in the first couple months with my 2018 2510.......... tightened the set screw (allen wrench) where the wiper arm attaches to the wiper motor splined shaft a few times but it kept happening. Finally figured out the insert in the wiper arm that goes over the splined shaft on the wiper motor was a soft metal (pot metal I think) and that was the culprit. After getting replacement arms from Parker the problem continued to happen.

So, getting tired of having them stop working when I really needed them I did a permanent fix. I took the arms off and put some JB Weld on the splined shaft on the wiper motor shaft and put it back together. Good news is I have not had the problem since............ bad news is if I have to remove the wiper arm for any reason I'm probably going to have to cut it off the wiper motor shaft and replace wiper motor along with the arm.

Not your optimal solution, but wanted a solution that would keep me from losing the wipers on a 65 mile run back from the Gulf Stream.
[/QUOTE
Exactly why I ordered 2 new arms which are arriving today. I figured I would see how they are attached and just do it. Didn't want them falling off when I really needed them

Well I went down today and was able to flip cover to get to the set screw. I was able to loosen the set screw but that's where my fun died. The arm was frozen to the adaptor and the spline from the motor.
I guess I will try the trick mentioned above and also hit it with a little heat. If it wasn't for that would have been a 20 min job

Hit it with a torch today, brought different blocking etc. Those arms are welded with salt. Got a little more play on each side with a large screw driver. Hit it again with PB Blaster. I ordered a removal tool from Amazon which is coming Tuesday, hopefully that finishes it off. I searched all over town in automotive,hardware, marine stores for a tool but no one had them in stock

You may have to modify the center pivot on the tool so that it fits into the hole in the center. I removed the center plate on the tool and then ground down the end on the threaded stud.

Slide an open end wrench over the shaft and behind the wiper arm where it attaches. Use a second wrench to loosen the wiper motor nut which will apply pressure to the other wrench ultimately pushing the arm off. Ive done this a few times and it works well.

When all else fails I cut the knuckle in two places an removed the piece and slipped it right off. Replaced the whole assembly.

You may have to modify the center pivot on the tool so that it fits into the hole in the center. I removed the center plate on the tool and then ground down the end on the threaded stud.
I stopped by another advanced auto this morning and they had the tool, but as you mentioned you have to modify the tool. After beating on them for 3 days I had enough. I took an awl and whacked it on an angle which got some movement. I then kept spraying liquid wrench. After beating for them for 3 days I finally managed to get them off. If they had only applied a little bit of die-electric grease it would have been a ten minute job. One of the most annoying repair I have ever made.

Back