Reverse only after working on lower unit Evinrude 200HP

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JET O_Wey

Reaction score
Finally launched early in the season. But...so disappointed when being dropped in and find reverse only. It will start even in reverse. Evinrude 200HP Yr 200. We dropped the lower unit to change the lower unit seals (located under the water pump) and after assembly only have reverse (forward is reverse and reverse is reverse.) Note we did move the shifter during this dis-assembly process. We hired a trained mechanic but suddenly we needed more parts (the seals) thus we tried to wing-it on our own after the "mechanic" left the premises. The job was expected to be only a preventative maintenance water pump change.

Basically broke a perfectly operating motor.

Any suggestions besides hiring a professional? Thanks for any suggestions.

PS It is not easy to Evinrude mechanics in this area.

Regards-

JT

Call Jeff Greenwood at Diamond Marine in Ipswich, MA. He has a shop out of the Greens Point Marine a few minutes out of Ipswich center.

Tell him this EXACTLY. "Dale Hubbard sent you, as he keeps his Parker with Andy Haley at Greens' Point. He used to refer EVERYONE to Paul when Paul had the OMC/Bombardier dealership and he's. Ow recommending you".

He is a damn good mechanic, as Andy knows him very well and I've known Andy my whole life. Just note that this is the Busy season ...

FWIW I have the OEM srvice manual for earlier motors, but you may have the new M2 gearcase and the shift rod height may have changed. Here are dedicated E-Tec forums on-line, do a google search, and they too use the newer gearcases, so maybe someone there can assist.

Lesson learned ... NEVER take critical parts apart without the OEM service manual ...

Thanks so much Dale -- love your site and Parkers too of course. Will make that call (understanding it is busy season); somehow the mechanics manual has disappeared during our crunch time of the club wanting the boat to launch. This was a lesson learned indeed, as much as I try to avoid the last minute scramble it becomes amateur hour. Hired someone so did not research as I would normally would before tackling a job.... you know the deal.

Respectfully,

JT

Hello Dale et al -

Thanks Dale for your excellent advise and your friend's guidance as well. Boat shifting all set! I have forward now and not stuck in reverse all day! It is always easy when someone gives you the answer to the puzzle and the extra confidence to take it on.

Short diagnostics I 'missed' the screw, as your fellow suggested, to secure the top of the shifter rod. It pushed down, or say the shifter rod tip hide under the little rubber shroud and I did not realize it ducked below the screw. It was a slightly more complicated but happy ending.

This site is what it about!

Best regards,

JT

Back