Rigging 23 SE Questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeFlies

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a 23SE, but had a few rigging questions for the experts here on the board. I will not have a T-top.

(1) Should the VHF antenna be mounted onto the top rail, on top of the console (opposite the compass) or on the side of the console (port-starboard side)? Looks like it will have a 4' whip.

(2) Should the GPS receiver be flush mounted on the top of the console (opposite the compass), on a pedestal post (top of console) or flush mounted at the bow (seems to be the dealers choice)?

(3) I'm thinking about replacing the see through Lexan(sp?) glass for the electronic box with a piece of black tinted Lexan/acrylic split into two pieces. The one piece would be a permanently affixed (not sure how) to the opening with a flush mounted GPS/Sonar Garmin 4208 (it was recommended to use acrylic over Starboard - they said better for mounting?) and the second piece would have a similar hinge configuration as the original piece (two hinges at the top). They would either have overlapping joints or would vertically be cut on a 45 degree angle (in the middle) so that water wouldn't be able to get between the joint. In this scenario, the second piece (which could be raised) would allow access to the storage area. Seems like the best of both worlds (flush mount plus storage). If I do this, where could I mount the VHF? It looks like it could be flush mounted to the right of the throttle controls? or is there a better place? I would prefer to not take up room inside of the electronic box.

Thanks for the help!!

if you are going to have a bimini top make sure every thing that you mount, ant. rods in rod holders fit under while putting up or down, or at least be careful while duing so. any tinting is hard to see thru in low light if you need to. smoked windsheild on my 18cc was hard to see thru in early morn or eve. it is hard to pick out perfect locations for every thing until you have used it for awhile. if you have a chance look at other boats to see how they have set up, capt.pete's boat maybe similar to yours? tinmantoo 2 parker guy

TimeFlies":miipwzox said:
Well, I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a 23SE, but had a few rigging questions for the experts here on the board. I will not have a T-top.

(1) Should the VHF antenna be mounted onto the top rail, on top of the console (opposite the compass) or on the side of the console (port-starboard side)? Looks like it will have a 4' whip.

(2) Should the GPS receiver be flush mounted on the top of the console (opposite the compass), on a pedestal post (top of console) or flush mounted at the bow (seems to be the dealers choice)?

(3) I'm thinking about replacing the see through Lexan(sp?) glass for the electronic box with a piece of black tinted Lexan/acrylic split into two pieces. The one piece would be a permanently affixed (not sure how) to the opening with a flush mounted GPS/Sonar Garmin 4208 (it was recommended to use acrylic over Starboard - they said better for mounting?) and the second piece would have a similar hinge configuration as the original piece (two hinges at the top). They would either have overlapping joints or would vertically be cut on a 45 degree angle (in the middle) so that water wouldn't be able to get between the joint. In this scenario, the second piece (which could be raised) would allow access to the storage area. Seems like the best of both worlds (flush mount plus storage). If I do this, where could I mount the VHF? It looks like it could be flush mounted to the right of the throttle controls? or is there a better place? I would prefer to not take up room inside of the electronic box.

Thanks for the help!!

We have a 2008 2100CC. Same center console as yours, I believe.

Antenna is mounted on the side rail on the port side of the console. 4' whip, stops just so the bimini clears it. Works fine. GPS receiver mounted flush on top of console. Works fine through bimini.

My 4208, Ray fishfinder and ICOM VHF are mounted inside the console, behind the lexan.

What is the purpose, please, of replacing the one piece locking clear plastic door with a two piece black tinted lexan?

My rig:

http://tinyurl.com/2zu7g8

http://tinyurl.com/34ded7

I'm not going to have any type of top, not a bimini either. I figured I could flush mount my GPS/Sonar (on one side) and still have plenty of storage space in the box (on the other). With having the electronics placed in the box, there isn't really any good storage for a camera and other stuff. Thanks for your thoughts and pictures.

TimeFlies":1ltup3tf said:

If you mount it to the side of the console, it might be easier to lower and stow it while its on the trailer and in transit.

You may be able to do that on top as well, I'm just not sure what else might be in the way with it up there.

I have had a 23SE for six seasons. I do not have any sort of top on mine, just as you indicated you will set yours up. I have the electronics box on top of the base console. The VHF radio fits inside to the right. Until last season, I had a 6.5" diagonal Lowrance X-15 combo GPS/fishfinder inside the console in about the center position. Then last winter I upgraded to the big-screen LCX-111 unit with a 10.5" diagonal screen. Before making that purchase, I made sure it would fit inside the electronics box -- it does. Even with those two pieces of electronics in the box, there is plenty of room for other tackle, accessories, and gear in the box.

When I got the boat, it had a 4' metal whip antenna mounted on the left side of the console. I did not like the way the metal whipped around when under way, so I replaced it with a 4' Digital fiberglass antenna several years ago. The reception is adequate -- not superb. But I do little talking on my VHF anyway. I wanted to keep the top of the antenna below the tips of the rods in the upright rod holder on the side of the console. That keeps me to a 4' length. I can fold the antenna down and still get on the custom cover I had made for the console.

Concerning the plastic door to the electronics box, I did not like the factory set up with a piston to hold the door out toward me at a 90-deg angle. I disconnected the piston, allowing the plastic to pivot all the way up to vertical. I hold it in the open position using a loop of rope around the windshield frame.

My boat is put away for the winter at Tri-State. You are welcome to look over my setup next spring. Send me an email at [email protected] if you have any other specific questions.

Flies, I went with an 8' whip, although a 4' would be more practical. The GPS antenna is flush mounted to the top of the electronics console. The box contains a Sitex 11" display and my VHF. No problems at all with reception of GPS signals. I don't think Sitex gets enough recognition. I agree with J.A. about the door. I will be changing that the coming season ...

Think Summer 8)

Attachments

• P6050008-600.jpg
    P6050008-600.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,007
  • P6100011-600.jpg
    P6100011-600.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1,007
  • P7010016-600.jpg
    P7010016-600.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 977
I have 23 SE w/ no T top.

I mounted 4' digital whip antenna on port side of grab rail, mounted on a ratchet antenna base so I can fold it down to fit under the cover. works great and easy to raise and lower. if you go this way be sure to get a metal base not cheap plastic job.

I mounted GPS and Sonar inside electronics box on port side, VHF hangs on starbord side from top of box.

GPS puck antenna is flush mounted on top of e-box opposite compass. very clean.

Been very happy with this set up. everything stays dry and still room for plugs and flys and other stuff I throw into the box during a day. not sure you'll need to cut the e-box cover in half....

time flies....your welcome to come look at my boat and layout. i live in shady side.....less than a half hour from you. bring your camera. my boat is rigged well. call or email.

click on link in my signature for info.

Capt. John Deering":63q88pjb said:
my boat is rigged well.

A true statement! :)

Image-60BF1E2E48F111DC.jpg

I run an 1801. They have smaller consoles and are even more strapped for space, with out an electronic box within view. We do have a small box situated about waist high.
I have a 4 foot fiberglass antenna mounted on the grab rail.
This spring I plan on mounting an icom 422 in the lower electronic box and using a command mic flush mounted and fixed along side the throttle. Should work nice.

Hi Other Line,

I'll check and let you know. It may take a few days ...

It's a wooden boat if memory serves correct ...

Back