rotten core around fuel fill

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1267712

Reaction score
I am working on a 1991 18' center console and I discovered some core rot around the fuel fill. I started picking away at it and goes pretty far around the fuel fill. Is there any easy way to fix this. I figured I could dig out the core and replace it with thickened epoxy putty, but it it more extensive than I thought at first. Does the core need to be completely dry before I can fill back in with epoxy? Will the epoxy putty stick well to the upper and lower fiberglass skins? I really want to get the boat in the water soon and wasn't looking for a big project.....

I feel like if I epoxy and trap some moisture in there it will lead to further problems. Please give me a little guidance here.

No.
Usually is.
Yes.
Yes.
Depends on your definition of fix.

That being said, Epoxy will most likely flash over and burn when it cures, best quick fix is to dig it out dry as best you can and fill with a product like Hull and Deck putty.

This won't be a long term fix though. because no matter what, you will trap moisture in there.

So I can't use epoxy because it will get too hot when it cures? What if I did it in thinner layers? I figured epoxy mixed with cabosil... but I am not very experienced with this. How about putting in some unthickened epoy to try to seal up the core some and then packing it full of marine-tex?

Hull and deck putty still a better and cheaper option.

OR if you are hell bent on epoxy, make sure you get the slow cure stuff, West System is the 206 hardener.

Might be best to do it once, keep top skin intact, cut out bottom skin 1/2" wider at a time than where you find is wet. Nibble or cut it out pieces at a time, sort of surgical approach. Cut bad part out to get to a good square or rectangular area, use chisel to cut a 7:1 scarf, wider on the bottom, and glass in a new piece. The $20 sample kit from www.raka.com will do it all for you. Even tell Larry what you're doing and he'll set you up right.

windknot, from the top and bottom it looks like there is nothing wrong. I pulled the fuel fill to add a new ground wire and discovered the very rotten core.

Dale, I think that is the best plan to fix it correctly. What do I add back in as new core? I only need a piece probably 5"x6" or so. I won't know for sure efore I start cutting though. What is the best easy way to cut the bottom laminate? I have a dremel, but that seems like a lot of work for "exploratory surgery" Also, it will be very tight quarter up under the gunnel. I fear that a similar repair will be required at each of the rod holders... I am tempted to just throw some putty in for now and fix it correctly next winter.

Latest posts

Back