RULE-A-MATIC SWITCH. . ... ..

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannonigans

Reaction score
. ....time to stop reading and try to make a post.. .....although this isn't so much of a project as it is a . . ...dissection. Over the years I've replaced a few of these automatic switches in a few different boats.. .....and it didn't take long for the one in my new (to me) 2320 to crap out. It was time I tore one apart to see what's going on inside the hunk-o-junk!

. . ..so out came the Dremel and cutting disc. It was sealed better than I expected... ...here's the innerds.

. .... as it says. ...there was some corrosion on the bottom of the switch, but not too bad. .....

. .......when I took resistance checks at points 1 and 2 the switch worked fine. .. ...it opened and closed as designed.

BUT. ....taking resistance across the thermal cutoff. . ..no good. It was open ... ..

There's not much info on the almighty web about this brand of switches. .....other than they are one time only.. ..no reset.. ..so once this $35 (ish) switch is overheated. . . ..it's done! I can't say for sure if mine was overheated . ..or it just simply failed (age?). I do know the 15 amp fuse and pump still work.

Here's a little info I was able to find on the thermal cutoff. ... . .

As I said before. ...this isn't really a project. . . ..yet. I will be replacing it this winter. Unsure of what will be going in, but it will not be the same kind! I think I've read just about every post in 'Projects', so I have some options/ideas of other switches. As small of a project it will be. ... .it's still on the hit list. . . .. .right after I replace my trim tabs that the hinges rusted out on!! THAT will be a whole other post!!

Thanks for reading. . ....and Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• Bilge Pump 1.JPG
    Bilge Pump 1.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 454
  • Bilge Pump 2.JPG
    Bilge Pump 2.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 454
  • Bilge Pump 3.JPG
    Bilge Pump 3.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 454
  • Bilge Pump 4.JPG
    Bilge Pump 4.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 454
  • Cutoff 1.JPG
    Cutoff 1.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 454
I use the little higher end cage protected models.

I bet the guts are the same, but I've never had a problem. I can manually activate it for a check before going to sea. I've never had a failure.

8247124.jpg

FWIW I use the electronic field-sensing "no moving parts" bilge switches by Johnson. There are 2 dots on it and if you put your 2 fingers across those dots ... they test the pump. Simple and foolproof and 100% reliable! Oh, and fully potted in epoxy to boot!

DaleH":3q44pfs6 said:
FWIW I use the electronic field-sensing "no moving parts" bilge switches by Johnson. There are 2 dots on it and if you put your 2 fingers across those dots ... they test the pump. Simple and foolproof and 100% reliable! Oh, and fully potted in epoxy to boot!
I've had a bunch of those fail on us over the years. Basically, all float/level switches are not going to last. We just change them out every few years.

Basically, all float/level switches are not going to last. We just change them out every few years.

And that is why I install the pumps and switches on a buss bar like this. It makes it real easy to troubleshoot and change out.

100_4420.jpg

TransomCavity003.jpg

100_1358.jpg

warthog5":35oxowhq said:
Basically, all float/level switches are not going to last. We just change them out every few years.

And that is why I install the pumps and switches on a buss bar like this. It makes it real easy to troubleshoot and change out.

100_4420.jpg

TransomCavity003.jpg

100_1358.jpg

I love the cleanliness of your setup, but I worry about water splashing onto those busbars if there's ever a major problem. Its a tricky nut to crack, that's for sure. If there was a way to waterproof those bars, I'd be all over it.

When you use the Blue Seas bars and wire ends like Anchor makes [tinned] + a little Diaelectric grease there is not a problem.

The factory uses the cheap brass buss bars and glass fuse panels. Time to update and move up to better products.

Note how high they are in the bilge. Water doesn't splash that high unless your sinking and then you have bigger problems.

. . . ....haha. . . .just found the forward switch bad the other day.. .... it was working when she was in. ...... ....

. ............ ..this unusually 'nice' weather has let me crawl over and in every inch of the boat. ....was able to hand over hand a few wires that I didn't know where/what they went to. . ...labeled every wire on the fuse panel. The wiring is in really good condition for it's age. ....and I haven't found too many things that need to be fixed. The previous owner(s) took good care of it.. . .. .but there are a few things. . .. ..obviously the bilge switches.... rusted/broken trim tabs, and something I noticed this fall. .. ..he had two starting batteries in it. Yup. Not dual purpose .....starting! Plus. ...reading all the posts on here has given me some great ideas on other small projects/upgrades.

Back