Running Rough

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkerman

Reaction score
So good news and bad......
I changed my fluids today and put on my reconditioned prop. Splashed her at 5:00 and did a quick cruise before the "big" Memorial Day WE. All seemed fine but the more I ran her the more she bogged down at high RPMs. By the end of the 30 minute cruise I couldn't get her above 37 RPMs with out bogging down. It seemed to be running a bit rough as well. I was thinking plugs. Any other ideas?

Damn. Didn't work. I did learn a lot though. The vst is tuff to get to on my model and the filter was $72.00!! So all filters changed and still no power over 30,000 rpms. I guess I am sitting on the beach all weekend. Dropping her off at the shop tomorrow. I will let you know what they find. Happy Memorial day everyone.

So last week I get a call saying they took apart the VST tank and found debris in there. Huh......It was clean when I put it together. So they water tested and huh..........the same issue. So today they pulled the fuel line from the tank and found it fouled with debris. They will water test again tomorrow as they assume this is the problem. I suppose there is no way to "clean" a tank other than run the fuel through and keep the filters clean?? They say the gas is clean and "good" but the pick up line just grabbed some sludge or grit from the tank. Any thoughts? I was afraid to ask about the bill until I know they are done.

Maybe I should have stuck with the 14' sail boat :shock:

It is possible that you picked up some debris during one of your fuel-ups that wouldn't pass through the pick-up.
Depending on how much crud is in there, you could have the tank cleaned and fuel polished... or just be aware of possible fuel issues and maintain your fuel filters and fuel ammendments (Ringfree, Startron, StaBil, ect).

Don't dispair... even sailboats have occasional fuel issues. It's just one of those things. :wink:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
So I got a call today. After clearing the fuel line they did a water test. Still the same issue. The mechanic talked to Yamaha and told them where they are and what they have done. Yamaha suggested that the fuel injectors be cleaned. This requires that the dealer remove them, over night them to Florida where they will be cleaned, overnight them back to the dealer and then test her out again. I am concerned. With the fuel/water seperator, fuel filter and VST filter all inspected, found to be clean and changed anyway how is it that the injectors can be dirty? It also sounds like I will be lucky to have the boat back for the July 4th weekend. Oh......and then there is the $900.00 we are up to which includes the fuel injector cleaning. What a way to start the season...........in July no less.

Fixed. The injector cleaning did the trick. A great day on the water today. I already forgot about the bill 8)

I had issues bogging down last summer. Suzuki 4 stroke 140hp on my Parker 21 CC. Mechanic replaced filters, external and internal to engine. Didn't help.

I finally got a fuel polisher to cut open the deck and the tank. He found a screen in the pickup tube that was clogged with what looked like sawdust. I have an aluminum tank. He also filtered all the fuel. Tossed the screen from the pickup tube in the trash.

Boat ran great until Friday. Engine wouldn't run at high Rpms and was dying . In the bowel of the filter I could see crud, maybe water but particles too.

I am assuming this is all related to ethanol and water in the tank.

I'm looking at having the fuel polisher back on tuesday.

If the polisher is just filtering the fuel, what's he doing that my Racor filter isn't doing?

Is it possible to actually clean the tank? Or do polishers just filter fuel?

Can I set up some sort of super filtration system onboard that would help?

I sort of feel at a loss about what to do regarding ethanol, water, combined with my boat sitting for a few months at a time without being used.

Are additives the way to go? What are you guys using beyond stabil?

Sorry for the long post. Info is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back