Safety Gear - Autotether

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFern

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to order my Revere Fast Find PLB, and was also considering the Autotether. I have auto pilot and spend plenty of time on the boat alone; anybody have any feedback on this item - seems like a good idea.

Hi Dale, I would certainly recommend your members the new FastFind PLB for $299. We can sell them to your group for $270 shipped. Feel free to advertise it.

Take a look at this post in All Parker Boats about 3 above your post. I question the Fast FInd because they have a more expensive model and it is about $229.00 more than the one for $229.00. I don't know about everyone else but when my life is at risk I want the best I can get. If they are priced so far apart in price then something is missing and it is not just a neoprene case that will make it float.

I understand that Bryan but the other one that I am talking about is the Fast Find MAX which tells me that it has more functions. My question is what are those functions and why does it cost more and why would anyone want to purchase an inferior model of something when your life could be on the line. For my money I want the best they make and no matter who the manufacturer is, not a cheaper model of something. McMurdo, ACR or whoever the manufacturer, they are all reputable and dont' get me wrong, I know that the McMurdo make is quality, but why buy the inexpensive model when obviously the more expensive one must offer more features.

McMurdo Fast Find Max ($500 + or -) Key Features: 48-hour effective transmit time • Built-in GPS • Weighs just 9 oz. • Global alert to Cospas-Sarsat satellites • 406MHz transmitter • 121.5MHz homing frequency • Positional accuracy to within 10 feet • Floats • Waterproof to 38 feet • Complete with lanyard and designer carry case • User replaceable battery packs

McMurdo FastFind PLB ($299 + or - ) comes equipped with an integral 50-channel GPS system and complies with rigid federal and international standards. It operates on the global COSPAS SARSAT 406MHz search and rescue satellite communication system. McMurdo FastFind PLB’s signals will continue to transmit for at least 24 hours.

It appears to me that all the ads for the $299 version always reference the "50 channel" system. The more expensive units make NO mention of channel limitations.

I don't know how many channels there are, much less how many you need, but I'd want to know exactly what that meant before I plunked down any money for the $299 one.

Battery Transmit life is also a BIG difference.

You get what you pay for..

MacFern":2h2rveub said:
...was considering the Autotether. I have auto pilot and spend plenty of time on the boat alone; anybody have any feedback on this item - seems like a good idea.

I have one. I really like it. I fish and cruise alone often. Sometimes if I'm in the intercoastal, puttin along at idle, I might have to put the VHF antenna down as I approach a low bridge. It requires that I exit the cabin and come around on top of the roof to lower it. I have on occassion worried about what would happen if I slipped and fell into the water.
Auto Tether solves that problem.

Also, if I am out trolling, AP is on, I'm tending lines and I fall out....Auto Tether will at least kill the engine, giving me a better shot at swimming to the boat that would otherwise be running away from me at 2-4 mph.

Now all I really need to do is buy and discipline myself to wear a Mustang inflatable vest... :roll:

You get what you pay for.

Right, and I would rather have a$299 version than nothing, it is like anything else. Would I love a 35 Duffy, sure can I afford it no.

Best thing would be a PLB and a dedicated EPIRB.

Bryan A":22lc1sa7 said:
You get what you pay for.

Right, and I would rather have a$299 version than nothing, it is like anything else. Would I love a 35 Duffy, sure can I afford it no.

Best thing would be a PLB and a dedicated EPIRB.

Absolutely correct!!!

I have been looking at the ACR GlobalFix 406 with internal GPS I think safety is far more important than price If the time ever came that I or my friends need help It sure would be a comfort to know that my EPIRB is giving my GPS location within 100 feet of where I am. I looked at the $200-300 models made by mccurdo and they dont have the GPS until the price goes up to $600- I think a couple hundred bucks more for the best there is is nothing when it comes to the safety of me and my son ACS or Mcurdo buy the one with GPS your life may depend on it someday

thanks for all the info It sure is nice to be able to ask questions and get real answers from real people

Latest posts

Back