Salt water corrosion on window frames

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobbi_Fishing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
9FB1B7BA-2918-4100-9510-690AEC7B1F56.jpeg3CF62B4A-27E6-4FC1-B293-E7D951A371CC.jpeg
I purchased the boat several months ago and I am slowly cleaning it up and modifying/upgrading it. It has this salt water corrosion on all window frames, some worst than others. Does anyone know of a good product or method to remove this with minimal scratching to the finish?

Attachments

• DD1BFB23-127E-4652-80C8-63863B20A053.jpeg
    DD1BFB23-127E-4652-80C8-63863B20A053.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Curios to read any response you may get, my issue is only inside the cabin, the frames are very good on the outside.
The first 3 years of the boat's life we had it in a marina and would be closed during the week, sometimes several weeks.
Somehow we didn't notice until it was too late.

Curios to read any response you may get, my issue is only inside the cabin, the frames are very good on the outside.
The first 3 years of the boat's life we had it in a marina and would be closed during the week, sometimes several weeks.
Somehow we didn't notice until it was too late.
Same with mine, definitely more of an issue on the interior portion. I will be testing some methods to attempt to remove soon.

mine is like that too and I also asked about what I could do. On either classicmako or the hull truth a couple of people had similar problems and they sanded their aluminum down and painted it with a black epoxy paint they got from advance or autozone. I haven't done anything so far, other priorities on the boat.

Woody Wax will clean it up; but, the pitting will still be there. If you sand then you will have to paint in order to protect it.

View attachment 35639View attachment 35640
I purchased the boat several months ago and I am slowly cleaning it up and modifying/upgrading it. It has this salt water corrosion on all window frames, some worst than others. Does anyone know of a good product or method to remove this with minimal scratching to the finish?
Hi Gobbi Fishing, I thought I take this opportunity to tell what I've done on our 2013/2014 2520 XLD. Our windows, inside and out, look as good as the day they were installed. The best 'cure' for this, is prevention, so I know this won't help with yours, but it might help others to keep theirs from looking like yours (and all the others with this issue), and might help with yours once you 'fix' the issue.... First, I apply MDR Metal Polish (most any good metal polish will help) on all the metal on the boat (applied usually twice a year). I removed every S/S screw around the inside of the windows, installed a nylon washer between the screw-head and the aluminum frame, (to separate the two dissimilar metals), coated the screw with a thick corrosion inhibiter, (When I posted this once before, Warthog recommended a better 'corrosion inhibiter to coat the screws with; I don't remember what it was), then re-installed the screws. I did the same for two of our previous boats. One of those is a 1986 CT 35 with aluminum Gebo windows. Those window, to this day, look brand new after more than 30 years. Zero corrosion...
This video is a couple years old, but I assure you the windows look exactly as seen in this video;

Last edited:
Reactions: Ana
Hi Gobbi Fishing, I thought I take this opportunity to tell what I've done on our 2013/2014 2520 XLD. Our windows, inside and out, look as good as the day they were installed. The best 'cure' for this, is prevention, so I know this won't help with yours, but it might help others to keep theirs from looking like yours (and all the others with this issue), and might help with yours once you 'fix' the issue.... First, I apply MDR Metal Polish (most any good metal polish will help) on all the metal on the boat (applied usually twice a year). I removed every S/S screw around the inside of the windows, installed a nylon washer between the screw-head and the aluminum frame, (to separate the two dissimilar metals), coated the screw with a thick corrosion inhibiter, (When I posted this once before, Warthog recommended a better 'corrosion inhibiter to coat the screws with; I don't remember what it was), then re-installed the screws. I did the same for two of our previous boats. One of those is a 1986 CT 35 with aluminum Gebo windows. Those window, to this day, look brand new after more than 30 years. Zero corrosion...
This video is a couple years old, but I assure you the windows look exactly as seen in this video;

Andy, I agree with your comment about prevention; however I bought this boat a few months ago and it was already in this condition. So I am trying to clean it up and keep it from getting this way again. Thanks for the recommendation though, I will look for a metal polish that will hopefully restore it.

Reactions: Ana
Im trying the Woody's Wax now. They make a sealant as well for metal that I ordered. I have the black framed Wayne windows. They are very rough. I'll post results.

Your frames are too far gone to bring them back. It's doesn't look like the previous owner took care of them the way he should have. For any aluminum (or other metals), whether it be window frames, tee tops, piping, etc., Aluma Guard by Rupp is a good product.

Andy, I agree with your comment about prevention; however I bought this boat a few months ago and it was already in this condition. So I am trying to clean it up and keep it from getting this way again. Thanks for the recommendation though, I will look for a metal polish that will hopefully restore it.
Hi Gobbi, I understand the boat is new to you and that the corrosion is not due to your neglect. The window corrosion issue has come up a number of times here on CP and the best I can remember, there has not been a real good 'cure' for bringing it back to close-to-new condition, once the corrosion has gotten this far. Some have sanded and scrape off as much of the heavy corrosion as they can, then painted it (with good-to-ok results). Once you get it repaired to some degree, like you mentioned, a good metal polish/sealant will at least keep it in check and not let it get worse.

Back