Sea gull sweep

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ackparker

Reaction score
I pulled the boat this week while the storm approached and to do some much needed cleaning. My pilot house roof has become the local hang out for a flock of sea gulls. After hours of scrubbing I still have some work to do. It is time to find a gull sweep. Does any one have an effective sea gull sweep and how have you attached it to the pilot house roof. I am hoping not to have to come completely through the roof and have a nut there to slice my head on.

Most of the gullsweeps I have seen have the center pin fit into the receiver piece that simply screws into the surface. The problem is the damn gulls figure out how to stay just outside of the swing range of the paddle arms :cry:

My issue is the Comerants (diving ducks) that sit on the gunnels or the transome box and dry their wings mess on the deck. Have to wash the boat a couple of times a week. Also the exhaust soot from the airplanes do a number on the boat too. :x

forgive me for asking, but "exhaust soot from airplanes"?????? are you next to an airport?

I have mounted two sweeps on either end of my T-top. they almost touch in the center. Keeps the birds off completely. The advantages are that by having the mounts on the edge of the roof, the spindles are easily removed as well as the extra action of two sweeps seems to confound the birds' ability to find a safe place to sit.

jeffnick":3pqtlixl said:
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-CRO101-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated/dp/B000071NUS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's a good one!! Funny. I wonder if you can adjust the "distance" that it "sees" before activating. Great Idea if it works and you have a water supply.

We have two ducks that visit us every year. They crap all over the pool decking. My wife, a Peta person, will not let me convert these ducks into a tasty dinner so the water idea would be perfect!!

I also like Dave-J's idea. How do you keep the two vanes from colliding into each other?

CCparker":358zd6x3 said:
forgive me for asking, but "exhaust soot from airplanes"?????? are you next to an airport?

Yes, under the approach and departure for 05/23 at PVD :? Never noticed it much with my grey Wellcraft.... Damn there goes Southwest now!

The vanes are set so there is about an inch between them when they are at their closest. I defy a gull to sit in the inch!

In the interest of full disclosure, a couple of years ago, in very light wind, a gull was sitting on my top playing "jump rope" with the sweep very time it would come around. Haven't seen that since and my top is clean.

are you sure it is exhaust soot? I have always wondered what happens when I flush the john onboard a flight..... LOL :lol:

HM5":2fvg0p0m said:
CCparker":2fvg0p0m said:

Yes, under the approach and departure for 05/23 at PVD :? Never noticed it much with my grey Wellcraft.... Damn there goes Southwest now!

Every May during commissioning week, I have come to expect a 'dust down' of exhaust soot from the Blue Angels when they are in town.
It's only one week out of the year, so I've just come to expect it and make sure I give the boat a good scrub down afterwards.

Now the mess from the starlings and purple martins I could certainly do without! :roll:

I do not know who makes them, but we just got back from 6 days out on the ocean, and I saw on top of a Sheriffs boat, a solor powered sea gull sweeper/keeper offer, I saw this post and it is funny, I was really impressed on the set up he had, I was checking it out, and it works perfect, so I am sure someone on here knows more about it, it was really cool !

When was on mooring I had two gull sweeps on a 2530. As added items to roof and ended up on a slip, no reason to have them.

In heavy winds the flags break, need to keep spare parts. In very heavy winds approaching tropical storm, take them off. They'll lift off like a helicopter. They end up being expensive that way.

Dana

After too many Gull Sweeps went missing after storms I switched over to Bird Spiders. I have an 8' one mounted to a sand bag (tied off to grab rails) on the roof of my 2520. I never take it off even under way. I also have another one I often sit on the transom which keeps the rear clean. The gentle waving wire arms seem to be enough. Haven't been pooped on in 3 years....Anyone need any gull sweep parts?

....and I thought we had bird problems :shock: your lucky they just poop on the boat.

Attachments

• P7020016.JPG
    P7020016.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 429
Back