Sea Star hydraulic steering leak question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrannestad

Reaction score
On my 2320 there is a fluid leak in the engine splash well area. The leak seems to be coming from the hydraulic steering cylinder rather than hose for the steering. It's a front mounted Sea Star brand steering system that came with the 2004 boat.

I think it may be seal problem on the cylinder but am not sure. I see in the owners manual that they offer seal replacement kits to replace the seal on the end of the cylinder.

I have never messed with such a system and am wondering if that is the likely problem and if anyone has any tips to fix it. One of the things I am wondering is if there is a way to contain the oil so that it is possible to fix it while in the water. I wonder if I should try it myself or just hire a mechanic.

Funny you should ask. I had to replace the side plate seals this past week. It is not a bad job. You will need to purchase the seal kit as well as the tool to remove the side seal plates. I was able to purchase the kit and tool at a local marina. (Look online - for cheaper prices). The most difficult part of the job was removing the bracket from the sea star system to the engine. That part required heat from a blow torch. Removing and replacing the seal took about 10 minutes. Don't forget you will need to bleed the steering system.

The answer is yes, you can do the repair while the boat is in the water and it is a job you can do on your own. If you have any questions, give a shout.

Brad

Parker":15eqo1ut said:
The most difficult part of the job was removing the bracket from the sea star system to the engine. That part required heat from a blow torch.

I did the seals no problem and in the water. I also didn't require any heat for the bracket. The kit comes with two seals -do both of them. And if you need to buy the tool, get it but the chances using it again should be slim.

Cheers, wp.

I had that happen to my last boat into the third season, I guess I should expect this next year................I paid something like 350 for the repair.

Back