Sealing transom holes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBH2OMan

Reaction score
So I was poking my head around inside the transom of the boat reviewing the battery wiring (planning to re-wire the batteries using a VSR charge relay) and installing the kicker.

While poking around in there with a flashlight, I noticed to my horror than none of the through-transom holes for the engine controls are sealed!!! They look like raw plywood, and I was shocked to think that the factory does not seal these holes after drilling them.

Since I am planning to drill another set of holes for the kicker bracket, I figured I'd seal these holes at the same time.

I'm not a big fan of 5200 except in specific instances (it is messy/sloppy to work with and NEVER comes back off again). Wondering what people recommend to seal the inside edge of the 3" diameter hole in the transom for the main engine controls, and if something besides 5200, what you'd use for sealing the kicker bracket mount holes, too.

Thanks in advance

Epoxy. West Marine sells a slick kit of their branded stuff,akin to Git Rot, that is a thin as water. Mask off area well, heat core (NOT the mix) warm with a hair dryer, and paint on, apply, apply, and apply ... until it won't take anymore. If needed, waterproof 5-minute stuff on top would seal it off forever. Or buy basic intro kit from www.raka.com for < $20 from Larry @ Raka epoxy. It's a kit with resin (not as thin as WM stuff), hardener, and various fillers ... so you can tailor it as you need/want.

Thanks Dale. I checked out West Marine and the epoxy kit that looked like the one you described was $49 so I passed on it, wondering if there was a simpler/cheaper way to do this (or not worry about it?). If this was anything but a boat, I'd just throw some leftover paint on there and call it good...

While epoxy provides the strongest secondary bond to existing laminates, polyester resin will work just fine. Look around at you local auto parts store, home center, maybe even Walmart for an inexpensive kit.

You can also ask at the service dept of you local marina. If they do a lot of glass repairs, they probably buy their resin in bulk and could hook you up with a small sample for a few bucks....or $20.

Even a 5 minute epoxy will be better than nothing, the key is getting it to absorb into the layers of plywood. A rubber glove works good to "massage" it into the hole. :shock:

Devcon-5-Minute-Epoxy.jpg

SBH2OMan":f04r0myh said:
Thanks Dale. I checked out West Marine and the epoxy kit that looked like the one you described was $49 so I passed on it, wondering if there was a simpler/cheaper way to do this (or not worry about it?).
You missed my point about Raka, above in my psot. Larry's epoxy sample kit is only $18, see: http://store.raka.com/epoxysamplekit.aspx

Raka Epoxy Sample Kit
The kit includes twelve ounces of our standard marine epoxy Resin 127 with fast 610 and slow 606 hardeners, a small sample of silica, micro-bubbles, and a sample of standard 6 oz. fiberglass.
Price $18.00

I NEVER use MarineTex anymore since I've discovered Raka Epoxy. Unlike 'fancier' (and expen$ive) epoxy systems that require expen$ive pumps to dole out the mix, Raka epoxy is a simple 2-parts resin to 1-part hardener ... you can mix as much or as little as you want :D and need!

You are right, I missed that. Normally I'm reading and posting from my iPhone and I miss some of the details, especially if Im not wearing my glasses! :D

Just ordered one of those epoxy kits - sounds like something very handy to have around!

I AM a fan of 5200. I've tamed it with syringes.

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

Folks say don't use 5200 cause when you try to remove it, it may take some gelcoat with it. Hey Man, that's exactly the kind of performance I want on my boat!

Bryan 2530":2ibi0oeb said:
Problem with 5200 for this application is it will not absorb into the wood but rather sit on top.
And that would make it a prophylatic protective boundary, much like a condom. And like a condom ... it might very well protect you, but then again - maybe it won't :shock: !

DaleH":murqv40a said:
SBH2OMan":murqv40a said:
Raka Epoxy Sample Kit
The kit includes twelve ounces of our standard marine epoxy Resin 127 with fast 610 and slow 606 hardeners, a small sample of silica, micro-bubbles, and a sample of standard 6 oz. fiberglass.
Price $18.00

Just received the sample kit. Shipping was $8 but the kit is fantastic.

Thanks for the lead.

x2 on RAKA.

I've purchased several hundred gallons of RAKA and continue to be impressed.

jeffnick":1e8jtnby said:
DaleH":1e8jtnby said:
SBH2OMan":1e8jtnby said:
Raka Epoxy Sample Kit
Price $18.00

Just received the sample kit. Shipping was $8 but the kit is fantastic.

Thanks for the lead.

Yea just got mine too, but I have no idea what to do with all these haggles full of stuff! (phenolic, silica, etc). Includes measuring cups, mixing cup, even rubber gloves!

Have you guys tried Smith's penetrating epoxy? it is just a bit more viscous than water, and really soaks into porous wood. I use it on all my teak boat parts and teak spearguns, it is real good as a primer for any type of thicker finish like polyurithane or resin. Jamestown Distributors carries it. I've used it for years, I think it would work perfectly for your situation Brent.

Scotty

Back