Selecting a Bottom Paint

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelhookedup

Reaction score
Hi Folks, After three years and hundreds of miles put on the boat trailer and truck I am getting a slip. I figure with as much towing of the boat and trailer I do a summer it is a disaster whaiting to happen if I keep it up. So whats the easiest way to bottom paint the boat (its on the trailer) can i use hydraulic jacks and blocking or should I get some boat stands also? And what have you found to be the best bottom paint? I still will be trailering the boat some I have a bunk trailer so I hope the paint will hold up on the trailer. Poor boat wont know what to do when she has to spend a night outside :lol: Thanks for the help

I gotta be quick, as taking a "quick work break" (will be here late), but ...

1 - Remove any mold release on the hull, it still needs an agressive washdown with acetone, workign 1-way with plenty of clean rags and do not ''wash' a cleaned area using a dirty rag. You MUST do this regardless of the age of the hull!

2 - Apply bottom barrier coat IF desired. There's no practical reason to - seriously (boats can blister from the inside) - but it can replace Step 3. I would do it if YOU are doing the work yourself
or
3 - Apply hard, cheap (West Marine) epoxy bottom paint in a different color than your final anti-fouling color (or do Step 2)

4 - Topcoat: Find out what works best in your area. I like ablatives, single-season variety ($80-$125/gallon) as multi-season paints can cost > $220/gallon

5 - Apply 2 coats of each paint step

6 - Blocking, 1st I paint all but under the rollers. Then, provided you have time or can make the time, when that paint has setup, go back and put wax paper on large 4' section or longer piece of 2" by 10" or 12" and jack up hull off rollers ... be SAFE please :shock: ... add blocking and DO NOT stick your hand between rollers and the hull. Paint the area covered by the rollers. Let dry, repeat other side the next day. Could repeat again. Need to do for EACH coat. Some pull the boat partially off the trailer and block it or use Brownell stands, but this can be dangerous if not done right and is tough on heavy hulls!

Bonus of the different color paints is that if you put on red, with say a black ablative topcoat, as soon as you start to see red ... you know the paint is thin in that area. If you put on epoxy-based barrier coat, most is gray in color, so you can put on your topcoat of color choice right on top. Personally I think black looks sharp on Parkers and also feel that the black color ablative performs the best.

Add a vinyl boot stripe (see my hull photos) and your boat will be SHARP looking for sure! Gotta go ... break is over ;)

What Dale said except, you can use any paint you want as long as it's Petit Hydro Coat.

The stuff works great, and its easy to put on.

As Dale said...I chose to go with the epoxy barrier, but I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

My only additional advice would be to paint an inch OR TWO above the natural waterline. This will prevent unsightly yellowing of the hull just above the bottom paint line from natural wave action. Also will prevent late season scum accumulation above the natural waterline. If you choose a black bottom paint (also my recommendation), it has the added benefit of visually lowering the freeboard of you boat, making it look even sleeker.

After years of crawling under my trailer I now pay a local boatyard to pick the boat up in their forklift for the hour or so it takes me to sand a bit and throw on a fresh layer of ablative paint for the season. MUCH easier and worth the money ($100).

Thanks guys this Forum is great! Now all I have to do is get the wood stove cranked up in the poll barn so I can do the work. Thanks again Sean

Almost forgot I have a Keel Guard on the boat, paint around it or over it? I don't know if the paint will stick to it, I don't want to take it off it saved me some damage a couple times.

This sounds like good advise. I've been trailering my 2003 21SE for six years and now I'm going to moor her this year and will be painting the hull for the first time. I have a question. How do I determine the waterline?
Thanks

Got any old pics of it in the water??

We did that with my cousins 2320 and got it to within a 1/2". A little adjusting this year and its good.

But the only real accurate way is put it in the water.

Back