Should I pull the carpet of the ceiling of my pilot house?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macho

Reaction score
Just bought a 1994 Parker 2320 XL with a 2002 f225. Only thing that is not cherry is the carpeting on the ceiling of the pilot house which is sagging. Is there any good reason not to just pull it out? I saw the post about re-gluing it, but that sounds like a hassle. What purpose does this carpet serve?

I know some Parkers don't have it and it does seem a little cleaner with just the fiberglass. If the carpet helps retain warmth or dampen noise it probably makes sense to keep it. Any thoughts would be most appreciated

I dont think the carpet does much for holding in or out warmth but more sound dampening. It eventually comes unglued from the humidity that is present most of the time in the cabin. Also if you just took it down it would probably be more of a pain cleaning all the residual glue off the fiberglass as opposed to just gluing it back up.

I dont think the carpet does much for holding in or out warmth but more sound dampening.

I concur. I don't know if it holds true in all boats with an "unfinished interior" but one bare glass cabin and pilothouse that I rode in had some very strange harmonics. A weird drone/vibration that would absolutely drive you mad.

It's pretty ugly with out the carpet. Looks like they sprayed the cabin with a brownish glue.
Mine is falling down too. I thought about ripping it out, but it's not a real clean job on the gelcoat.

I'm going to just spray some 3M glue and stick mine back up.

Back