SKIFFS - EXPERIENCE AND OPINIONS?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltyfish

Reaction score
The Admiral and my older kids want me to pick up a used skiff, my 21SE is too much boat for them to manage right now (plus I try to keep it in like-new condition). We boat primarily on the Severn River (VA) and Mobjack Bay. Plus I like to put out crab traps in shallow water in adjacent creeks, tides can be low, would like to chase reds in shallow water if I ever locate them up this way.

Carolina Skiffs seem like they would do the job, thought about tiller models, "J" boats (~16 ft) maybe too small on free board if the wind does kick up, maybe small for sand bar hopping with 3-4 people. I'm thinking 17 ft might be the ideal length for teaching, big enough that 2 ft chop would be manageable going slow. My CONCERN is the water intrusion issue (soaking foam in hull) sounds common on these hulls, i.e. not just internet complaining. I've read as much as I can about the topic, I know they main culprit is improper installs, but that does not seem to be the only path for mishap. Ideally I would keep the boat in the water for months at a time, my Parker is on my lift. Having said all of this, we all see watermen on 10-20 year old CS hulls.

Any small skiff owners want to offer their 2 cents? I'm thinking 10 year old hulls, or older (low price is key). Freeboard on Jones Brothers bateau maybe too low for what I have in mind, plus the resale prices on 20 year JB hulls quite high. Did I mention low price is key?

THANKS ALL.

Bryce

Hello Saltyfish. I live on the Severn also and fish the Mobjack as well.I own a 2520 that I launch at Crown Pt.I also have a 16' Carolina Skiff that I keep at my dock on the Severn.I go anywhere in the Mobjack in that skiff.Naturally you don't want to venture out when it is rough.If you are going to have more than 2 people on board,I would go at least a 17'.On flat days I've run my skiff all the way to Newpoint Light.

I'm on my second Carolina Skiff. My first one was a 1780 DLX (the extra wide model, probably bigger than what you're interested in). Current one is a 218DLV, which is definitely bigger than what you're interested in. The main selling point was the roominess on the 1780 compared to other 17' skiffs. Also, the prices were reasonable -- I bought both of mine new. I don't know about any quality issues. I didn't have any complaints about mine, and actually bought the 17' boat because I wanted a low maintenance "beater" boat. I think they're definitely good boats for the money.

I've had the 17' boat as far as 10 miles offshore on the Gulf (calm weather) and closer in on rough days running 3'-4' waves without feeling unsafe. Low freeboard wasn't an issue because the boat just bobbed on top of the waves like a cork. And the extra beam made the boat feel very stable. Of course, the narrower J boats may be a different story... The only limiting factor was how much punishment you and the passengers can stand. These skiffs will give you a rough ride in even a small chop. But, my current 218 with V bow gives a 100% better ride than the old bluff bow 1780 did.

Bottom line, if you want a boat to run around the shallows and don't want to pay Boston Whaler prices, the Carolina Skiff is a good choice in my opinion.

Bryce do some research on the self bailing capabilities of the CS if you are thinking of leaving it in the water. I have my eyes open for a good deal on JB skiff and will let you know if I see something

I've been watching for a good deal on either a 17 or 19 JB myself. You're right about pricing - 20 years old and still demanding 6500-7500.

I own a Parker 2120 and a DLX 1655. My son and I built the DLX off the kit parts. It has been a great little boat for me. I've not had any water intrusion issues but I was aware of the issues as I installed the various components so I sealed them well.

The DLX 1655 is a pretty seaworthy little boat. With the higher sides I feel very comfortable in conditions that would have kept me off the water in the bass boat the skiff replaced. I really love the ease of cleanup with the skiff too. You can get a lot of info on CS from www.carolinaskiffowners.com

It is the equivalent of classic Parker's for CS. Lots of options with a skiff build also.

While I love the J skiffs my boat club has, I'd prefer a V-hull skiff w/ deep gunnels for any choppy waters ...

In fact, I'd say a 16-18' lobstah skiff would be ideal? Think Seaway or Eastern for examples.

Just got back from a fishing / camping trip in the Minnesota-Canada Boundary waters.
We had a pair of v-hull tin boats that we ran for the week, a 14' and a 16' Lund.
We fished 3 people in the 14' and 4 people in the 16'.

The outfitter also had a 20' flat bottom 'truck' (brand unknown) that carried our tents, food, and all of our equipment.
That one had an overhead rack where they also carried an aluminum canoe.
All 3 boats ran 25 hp tillered outboards of various brands.

A v-hull tin boat would be cheap, and water intrusion nonexistent, tho they are not self-bailing.
Our first night in camp we had a horrendous thunderstorm at night and the next morning we had to take both boats out... get em up to speed, and remove the garboard drain plug. :)
Worked like a charm, but I'm not sure if you would want to deal with that.

another plug here for Carolina Skiff: they are cheap, built like tanks and require little horsepower to plane. I have owned a J14, J16, DlX 19 (which I built a second station for and an aluminum tower). That 19 was AWESOME, and I regret selling her. Here's a pic after all the work I put into restoring her:

sydngoose":17ecoyim said:
another plug here for Carolina Skiff: they are cheap, built like tanks and require little horsepower to plane. I have owned a J14, J16, DlX 19 (which I built a second station for and an aluminum tower). That 19 was AWESOME, and I regret selling her. Here's a pic after all the work I put into restoring her:

Very nice !!!!

Jones Brothers and Riddick Bay Runners have
reputation of being pretty much top of the line....

You should take a look at the Maritime skiff......I have an 18 CC with a 90ETEC and it will go back bay low water to near shore in comfort.

this thread was started about 2 months ago: since then, I have found myself in the "skiff" market again... My research has lead me to the Jones Brothers Bateau: they make a 17, 20, 23 I am going to buy the Bateau 20: Between my Parker 2120 and the JB 20, I don't think theres any fish in my fisheries I can't target....literally. Having a baby girl in 4 weeks...so, gonna wait until life settles in again to pull the trigger, probably in Feb/ March next year. Miss my lil Carolina skiff for these tailing reds right now...but that JB Bateau 20 is jawdropping in beauty!

Intruder boats. Harkers Island N.C. Best skiff I know of.

My quick 2 cents:

I had both a J16 and DLV 218 (fully equipped)...both boats are solid and great back bay runabouts. The DLV wasn't the best out front in the ocean, even with a slight chop it ran hard (not that I expected anything else). I wish I kept the J16, it was a great little boat, allowed for great flat fishing.

Best of luck

Still looking for a good deal on a skiff, 16-17 ft.

There is a 17 ft flats boat for sale locally...brand is "Outlaw"

Anyone with knowledge about this hull? Can't find info on the web.

Thanks,

Bryce

Back