slight leaking where topside joins hull

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckbutler

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I have a great '93 2520. I am getting some slight leaking which seems to be rainwater that comes down mostly the port side V berth walls. it gets wet under the v berth cushions. I have no fuzz on the walls (which I like) so I can see slight streaks. Have also noticed it when underway - occasionally not really looking. Should I try caulking around the seam between top and hull and if so with what?

Thanks

Dave

I have a similar ('92) vintage 2520 and I went around the bottom and top of the rubrail with black Life Seal. I cleaned the rail and frp above it and below it first and then put a strip of 3M blue tape about 1/32" or bigger away from the rail, above and below the rail.

This gives a groove to force the Life Seal into. Practice in area 1st and a few tips. Cut a large angle on the tube tip but leave it small so you only get a bit of a time. You can always cut it larger, so best to be on the 'small' side to start.

Put a small tin/cup of water with a few drops of dish water in it and mix it up. Once the bead of Life Seal is in place, you can smooth it into a nice fillet better by having the dishsoap good on your finger. Then carefully peel off the tape.

Then again ... for a more permanent fix, there are those that have resorted to completely removing the rail insert and bedding each fastener. Then there are a few who have completely removed the rubrail itself. This isn't tough work as much as a long job. And getting that rubrail insert back in and looking good can be a bear, so that's where a hair dryer set on warm helps ... as it'll stretch a bit when warmed. Trying to put it back in cold ... ouch ...

If it is dripping while just sitting in the rain, then it is coming from above. Water coming in that joint when underway comes in from the bottom of the rubrail and is forced up through the "shoe box" joint between the top and bottom hull sections. The fix that Dale described goes after that shoe box joint.

If water is coming in from the top during a rain when not underway, then it is probably coming in through a failed seal for deck hardware (bow rail or cleat). May be time to remove the hardware, clean the surfaces, and rebed in 3M 4200 or 4000.

Dave

aka

Back