Slip - Private vs Semi-Private?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
Hey guys. I need a little advice. I'm moving into my new house soon. There is a marina right across the street. It'd be great to take a walk to my boat every night. I could easily go check on it even when I walk my dog. :p

My current marina is about 1/2 mile away. Still not far, but I do have to drive there. I'm currently in a private slip. The slips are in severe disrepair and really need to be re-built, and security is lacking.

The marina across the street doesn't have any private slips available, only semi-privates. The owner told me there's a pretty long waiting list for private slips, at least 2 or 3 seasons, maybe more. The slips are all brand new though. Everything was totally done over last year, and I mean everything. It's on a much bigger lot with private parking, and it has better security. The slip fees are the same as my current marina now. Winter storage is actually cheaper!

Does anyone keep their boat in a semi-private slip? What would I need to worry about, or do differently? I don't like the fact that I can only tie up the boat on one side, and have to rely on fenders to keep me off the dock edge when the tide or wind is blowing that way. I'm real anal about scratches on my hull too. Any advice?

Thanks. 8)

This is NOT a flame at you, but don't you think you answered your own question?
Yes I have a dock at my house where my Parker sits when I'm not using it, but if I was in your set up with the new house and the NEW marina with good security, within WALKING distance ACROSS THE STREET! it would be first on the list after turning on the utilities at home.

OK, you have to put up with somebody moving in and out of the slip next to your Parker. Put extra large fenders on the community side. You might find out that your new neighbor is really cool, or maybe you can be a hero to him and help him learn how to dock in a crosswind. With your living so close maybe the marina owner may move you closer to the front to get a single slip.
Yeah, I think it is time to move on up.... :)

I would agree it is time to move. I have a semi-public slip and it has worked out fine. Docking can be a challenge. I know I gave the other marina members several interesting shows.

When I first got my slip I noticed that most of the "old timers" were located on one side of the dock and not the other. As it turned out this was due to wind direction. You may want to check the prevailing wind before picking out a slip, if you have a choice that is. Most seem to like docking with the wind. Tidal current is not an issue at my marina but you might want to check on that too.

I agree with Matthew. Move up. I'm in a semi-private slip and use fenders on both sides and extra lines. Crosswinds can be a bit tricky no matter what your set up is.

wayne

Sure, crosswinds are definitely tricky, but I'd rather hit my own boat into a dock than hit it into someone else's boat! :lol:

The tidal currents in my marina (and the new marina) can be very strong at times. So can the wind.

Flycatcher & WCS, how do you guys tie up in a semi-private? What stops the boat from rubbing on the dock when the wind/tide is blowing in that direction? Just fenders?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 8)

96TL":20feuofv said:
Sure, crosswinds are definitely tricky, but I'd rather hit my own boat into a dock than hit it into someone else's boat! :lol:

The tidal currents in my marina (and the new marina) can be very strong at times. So can the wind.

Flycatcher & WCS, how do you guys tie up in a semi-private? What stops the boat from rubbing on the dock when the wind/tide is blowing in that direction? Just fenders?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 8)

I am located on floating docks and I back into my slip. My neighbor is located on my starboard side so I am able to tie my port springline very short and in combination with a fender. I use the stern lines to keep the boat close to the finger pier on my port side. On the port side I drop one fender from the stern cleat; and another from the midships cleat. I keep one fender on the starboard side midships.

The only trouble I have noticed is that some of the Parker insignia paint rubs off onto the side of the stern bumper. I do have one or two scratches in the hull but these were removed with some addtional compound and wax.

I hear 96TL - I'd rather have a few dock rubs than hit someone else's boat!

Lots of fenders, both on the boat and secured to the dock. I have 5 lines on her. I'm fortunate that the slip has ~8-10' between my boat and its neighbor, so there's room, but with a westerly wind you don't want to miss grabbing a line on the first try. But it's liveable, and it's behind a private house in a nice community.

wayne

No worry about the decals rubbing off. My boat is naked anyway. I took all the Parker decals and pin stripes off. I only left the small "Parker" and "2320SL" on the side of the pilothouse. 8)

I'll definitely take this into consideration.

Back