Soldering a GPS antenna

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimC2520

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I was diagnosed with a bad GPS antenna.
Took it to a Furuno authorized repair shop and they hookep my unit
up to their antenna and it works fine, so I had to spring for a new antenna. My question is, is there something on the market that's "fool proof" in soldering the connection? I don't need the full length and would have to cut alot of it off. I only need 10 feet+-. I'd hate to spring for a soldering gun in the couple hundred dollar range. Anyone know or use a good, small soldering unit?

The repair place is near my house, 90 miles from the boat :(
I was thinking Radio Shack or maybe just seeing if I can hide most of the excess in the chases and not cuttting it, I'll decide once I pull the old one off.
Thanks.

I was under the impression that GPS antennas should not be cut, period. Am I confusing this with something else?

TheOtherLine":4omtggpj said:
I was under the impression that GPS antennas should not be cut, period. Am I confusing this with something else?

I think you are confusing that guidance with radar cables. There is a BIG warning in my Raymarine User's Guide to not cut/shorten the cable.

My Raymarine GPS antenna is configured so that the electronics (brain) is in the mushroom head, and the cable is nothing more than three wires inside a grounding sheath. You can cut it to any length you want. A different manufacturer may have a dumb antenna and the brain in the display unit...and the length of the wire may matter. Check your manual for guidance.

I know transmitting radio antennas need to be "cut" to the right length...normally a fraction of a wavelength of the center transmitting frequency to be most efficient. I know that applies to HF and CB antennas, but not sure if it applies to VHF.

Dave

aka

I used one of these BNC connectors from Radio Shack for my Garmin 192C antenna wire. It's solderless. Just cut the wire, stick the connector over it, and tighten the small set screw.

This is its 3rd season, no problems with it yet.

pRS1C-2265739w345.jpg

Just go to Radioshack.com and type "BNC" in the search box. You'll get a bunch of different types.

DIRECT LINK:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search

I did this once on my last boat with my VHF antenna. I also did not have a soldering gun. I put a 10D galvanized nail in a pair of vice grips and heated it to a glowing red with a blow torch. By the time I got it to the solder, it wasn't glowing anymore, but it worked good for me.

Here are two links for info that may help in how to solder a BNC connector to a piece of coaxial cable and a place to go buy a soldering iron for as low as $7.00.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/search.aspx?C=&K=soldering iron
this is a very good site for locating anything in the way of electronic components.

scroll down on this page and you will see several examples of different types of BNC connector assemblies.

Take your time and you'll be able to do it!http://www.wecusurveillance.com/site/897581/page/519235

Do not cut it if you can avoid it. All radio equipment antennas are designed and tuned to a specific length of cable for that frequency range. Cutting the cable could possibly reduce your reception. Radar is especially sensitive because the way it functions is based on reflective power. When you cut an antenna cable you change the load/resistance on the radio. Every inch of wire represents a certain amount of resistance and if you cut it you will need to re-tune your radio or antenna to compensate for the difference. The antenna & cable represents a wavelength of the frequency range you are operating in. GPS is the least sensitive as it is only a receiver but the same principles still apply.

Back