Some Shannonigans 2320 projects. ..

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannonigans

Reaction score
. .....since getting my 1999 2320 last year I believe have read every possible thing I can on this site. .. ...and I gotta say some of you have inspired me to try things I have never done. ....or probably wouldn't have attempted with past boats. The posts you guys put on here definitely help a novice like me.. ....and I found that the posts with photos were key!! I would like to post some pics I have taken along the way of some projects. They may be simple projects to some. ...and they may just help some one that needs a visual. .....

. ......now when I bought the boat I thought I knew what things to look for. . ....it was super clean and my mechanic gave the engine a go. ....the gentleman seemed to have kept up with things pretty well. . ...or so I thought! As the year went on last season I found a few things that needed to be fixed. .....all no big deal. The first thing I was going to fix I had done several times before. ....a simple bilge float switch. (I posted the internals of the switch after I tore it apart). . .....the problem was everything I touched that was associated with it. . ..broke!! The bilge pump wire insulation crumbled in my hands. ....the hose was so old it broke into pieces . ....but the thing that really got me. .. ....when I tried to get the hose off the thru hull for the washdown. .......the ENTIRE fitting moved!!

. ..... after doing a bunch of reading I found it was one of the worst ways you can install a thru hull/shut off valve. He came through the hull with a typical straight thru hull fitting. It was secured to the hull with some type of sealant and the lock nut. From there he put on a 90 degree fitting which then went to the shut off valve. . ...then another piece of pipe that the hose connected to. There's a few issues here. ....first was that the fitting and the pipe have different threads, so the pipe was only threaded in about 3-4 threads. . . ..not good. Second was the pressure that was put on the pipe from operating the valve was too much. From research I found this is where most failures took place. .....and they weren't pretty. Catastrophic failures with no way to stop the water. . .. . .unless you have a toilet bowl wax ring or two on the boat :wink:

This picture shows the thru hull fitting . . .disregard the mold and wire nuts. Neither are there anymore!

This is the fitting. ....the arrow shows where most breaks occur.

. .... .there is a website pbase.com that was extremely helpful when it came time to install the new set up. I used a seacock this time. .....and I went with a backing block I made from 3/4" IPE.... a Brazilian hardwood. They suggested using G10 or similar. ...some even used marine plywood like in the older boats. It came down to personal preference. ...... but after a conversation I had with a friend that owns a 59 year old wood boat. ..this backing block will outlast me. I drilled and tapped it for some bronze bolts I cut to secure the seacock to. The backing block was secured to the hull with a whole lotta 4200 and of course the thru hull itself.

Here is the dry fit to make sure it all fits. . ..I think the guy drilled the hole in the hull to close to the mounting for the bilge pump, but I got it to fit pretty good. .. . ...

The last picture is the installation all complete. .....I'm pretty happy with how it came out AND I believe it's much safer. .....

. ...the old pump was a West Marine wash down pump. . . .it was mounted in with the oil tank. I ditched that and went with the Rule Livewell pump instead. ....better for my application of keeping bait alive and still able to wet the deck to clean. ...I also used some 4200 to secure a Forespar (plastic) scoop to the hull. . ..but don't think I snapped a pic. ..

. .. . . ..so hope maybe someone can get something out of this. I will be posting a few more in the days to come.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• bilge1.jpg
    bilge1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 971
  • old fitting1.jpg
    old fitting1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 971
  • thru hull backing block.jpg
    thru hull backing block.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 971
  • thru hull completed.jpg
    thru hull completed.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 971
. .. . . ..ohhhh. ...and since I had room after moving the old wash down pump. ....I decided to move the fuel filter from it's awful location in the bilge. . .. ..where I could barely reach it. When I took it out the bracket was completely corroded, so I purchased a new one. It's made out of composite material, so it won't corrode again! It is very accessible now . . ..

:D

Attachments

• fuel filter.jpg
    fuel filter.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 966
Good work! Run her over to Westbrook this year for our annual Parker gathering!

Nice work.
These kind of projects, accompanied by photos, is what CP is all about. 8)

Miky. . . .. ..I took your lead in rebedding my inspection hatches and replacing thru hulls. I'm going to say they had never been redone.........when I took the inspection hatch rings out the bedding material was dust!! I did epoxy around the edges and set them with 4200. I made new o-rings at work. . .I was shocked at what they wanted to replace them....

... ..As for the thru hulls. . . . ..I had one (most forward) that had a crack half way through the fitting. . . ...I didn't replace them with chrome. ...after riding for 20+ years I HATE shinny!! All hoses were replaced as well. Everything came out good. .. .and very glad I did it. ....

. .... ..because the boat had a lot of mold in the bilge and hatches. ...I moved a bunch of stuff to clean. When I moved the oil tank the bracket was in pretty bad shape. .....it sits flush on the bottom of the hatch, so any water/moisture that gets under it stays for a lonnnng time. I decided to try and get a few more years out of this bracket, so I sand blasted it. ....primed and painted it. .. .and cut some rubber standoffs (washers) to raise it up and get some air flow under it. .. ...alsotook the tank out and completely cleaned it.

. ...this is a picture of the bracket sandblasted and primed. .. .the standoffs that will go on the bottom.

. ...painted and ready for a few more years.

....cleaned up and installed.

Attachments

• oil tank bracket1.jpg
    oil tank bracket1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 902
  • oil tank bracket2.jpg
    oil tank bracket2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 902
  • oil tank.jpg
    oil tank.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 902
. . ...I can't even describe how he had the hose for the wash down run to his version of a fitting. . ..so I bought a new/real fitting and relocated it to the stern corner. .. ..I placed it as low as I could so it wouldn't interfere with the cleat. In doing so it didn't sit quite flush, so I made a gasket to put behind it. .. ..sits perfect now.

Attachments

• new wash down2.jpg
    new wash down2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 902
  • new wash down.jpg
    new wash down.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 902
  • new wash down1.jpg
    new wash down1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 902
. .. ..so this next set of project photos seems to be a BIG topic here on ClassicParker .. . ..Trim Tabs!! My tabs had run their course and rusted out. ....previous owners had improperly painted them and never used anodes. .. ..both of which I was guilty of on my previous boats. . . ..so off they came. Now I know this was probably the time to 'upgrade' to bigger tabs. . . ...but due to funds and time I opted to keep them the same as what came off. I lucked out and found exact replacements on ebay for $70. . .for BOTH tabs...brand new! This made it much easier because of the same mounting holes. ....

. ... ....during removal one screw broke off in the hull on each side . ....grrrrr! I carefully drilled them out so the hole wasn't too big.... then filled with epoxy using a syringe.. .which I saw done on a post here :wink: Later they were drilled out for the new screws. I was really fortunate that both tabs came off without too much effort and cleanup wasn't horrible. When I mounted the new ones I used Boat Life instead of 4200. The tabs got a generous coat and the screw holes/threads did as well. .. ....it actually went much smoother than I thought. ...thank God!

. .. ...the only other thing I did was clean up and paint the pistons which were in some tough shape from the sun, salt, and years. ..

. ...the old rusty tabs. .. .not too pretty

.. ..tabs removed and ready to clean up the hull..

. . ..the horror!

. . ...you can really see what no anode and galvanic corrosion can do.. .

. . .the new tabs installed and hull rady for paint

. ....the final product. Everything painted. ....even the new transducers for my new NSS8!

Attachments

• trim tab 3.JPG
    trim tab 3.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 853
  • trim tab 2.JPG
    trim tab 2.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 853
  • trim tab 8.JPG
    trim tab 8.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 853
  • trim tab 7.JPG
    trim tab 7.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 853
  • New Trim Tabs.jpg
    New Trim Tabs.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 853
  • new tab and ducers.jpg
    new tab and ducers.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 853
. .. .....I usually leave my starboard side window cracked ....so I put in another window latch for a little extra 'piece of mind' security at the marina. .....

Attachments

• window latch1.jpg
    window latch1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 554
  • window lock 3.JPG
    window lock 3.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 554
This older thread poped up, so I just went all thru it.

I ditched that and went with the Rule Livewell pump instead. ....better for my application of keeping bait alive and still able to wet the deck to clean it

Livewell pumps make lousy Washdown pumps.

Here's a pix of a dual port unit. 1 hole thru the hull and provides a livewell pump and a port for the washdown pump supply on the bottom port.

100_4884_zpsf32def01.jpg

I had a Livewell failure yesterday. It worked the whole day before....We had ell's in it. But when I turned it on yesterday morning....No discharge of water into the livewell.......I could hear the pump running. After messing with the discharge nozzle in the livewell and no change ..... I closed the Seacock and removed the motor from the Pump body......There was a broken.....But almost whole Acorn in there blocking the flow.

Making your look better and WHOLE lot safer is awesome, great post !!!

. ....well. . .it's a typical spring. Refuel at work has me on 72 hours a week and the to do list is backing up. . ...took advantage of my one day off to squeeze in a quick boat project in between all the house/yard ones!

. . ..after reading through some old posts. ...PM'ing a member that had completed this and speaking with WEMA. . ..I decided to swap out the fuel sending unit. As you can see from the pic I don't think the one I took out was original. . ..

. . ...out with the old. . ..

. . ..a few crimps and some Raychem (nuke grade heat shrink compliments of work). . ..

. . ...and in with the new!

. . . ...the entire project took about 1/2 hour.. ..easiest one done so far. 'Course I was very lucky and all the old screws came out pretty easy. Took a peak in the tank when the unit was out. . ...other than one of those little silver circle thing-a-ma-jigs that fall out of the fuel additive caps . .. . ..tank was clean....

Attachments

• wema 1.JPG
    wema 1.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 339
  • wema 64.JPG
    wema 64.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 339
  • wema 7.JPG
    wema 7.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 339
Back