Sounder and transducer question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRUE BLUE

Reaction score
I've been asking these questions on various boards and not getting any definitive answers. I got a Lowrance x-98 sounder with transom mount that I've never been happy with. It loses bottom at about 15 knts. I replaced the transducer once and it worked good for like two weeks then back to same lousy behavior. I was thinking of scrapping it and going with a more powerful or better name like a Furuno or Raymarine etc., but some say that won't make a differance, its probably transducer location. I can't figure out if there's no differance between sounders, how come one costs $200 and another $1200? Any of you guys got a bulletproof sounder? If you do, what is it and what is the tranducer location on your 2520?

True Blue

I have a Raymarine E-80 system. I have a Airmar in hull transducer that works at any speed as there is no cavatation were it is installed. I have a 2008 2520XL.

Check this link about transducers it has a lot of info. i have a post there with a picture of the install as well. My reply has my name on it.

Good Luck
Catfish

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=5686

optimaxfish":2eg6kqzr said:
What other electronics (is) still worth around half their costs 5 years old?

Image-C0104A3C616011DB.jpg

Thanks a bunch guys, you've really cleared up a few things!

What is the deadrise for a 2520? And is it a cored fiberglass hull?

true blue":21mqy6y2 said:
What is the deadrise for a 2520? And is it a cored fiberglass hull?

Depends on the hull profile and the year.

MVSC prior to about 2000 was a 14 degree deadrise hull. My boat is a 1996 and it is a 14 degree hull.
XL models and all MV's since around year 2000 are 16 degree deadrise.
DVSC's are all 21 degrees

No core... all solid fiberglass.

Sometimes the difference between the $200.00 and $1200.00 transducer is the power it can handle, dual frequency, features (temp, Speed, etc.) and mounting location.

Generally they price like this-

Transom Mount - least expensive

Shoot Through Hull - Similar in price to transom mount but easy to install. Tests prove they are slightly less sensitive.

Through Hull - Expensive and work well under way. Can handle lots of power (for really deep water).

High Speed Fairing Through Hull - Most Expensive With Dual Frequency, Speed, and Temp. Also works best at high speeds

You need to decide what one fits your budget, application and will work with future upgrades. I suggest if you go with a through hull that you mount it towards the stern close to the keel but outside the motors path by at least 6". Approx. 16" up the hull from center keel. Also check what other equipment is compatible with this transducer if you have any thoughts on upgrading.

maxout":2uz0k0p6 said:
High Speed Fairing Through Hull - Most Expensive With Dual Frequency, Speed, and Temp. Also works best at high speeds
Not quite. The high-speed fairing models just come with a fairing that keeps the transducer working at higher speeds.
Dual Frequency, speed, temperature are addons that can be part of ANY transducer.
In general, you won't get speed on a through-hull.
Dual frequency capability is nice, as is temp. The biggest thing to look for is a transducer that meets or exceeds your sounder's power output. More power=more depth at a specific frequency. Lower Freq will get you deeper, especially through the thermocline in the summer.

optimaxfish":fv3hed8l said:
......and lower frequency (50) will provide less detail. Since 50 covers a larger area, some bottom fishermen use 50 to locate area, and 200 to determine exactly where to "drop'em" 8)
Yup. 50 kHz usually has a wider beam angle, and 200 usually has a narrower beam, but if you use survey-grade 'ducers, you can get 200khz 1KW transducers that are 3°, and 50KHz that are only 5°. Of course, they re upwards of $900/ducer, and don't have multi-frequency or temp.

The really cool systems are the "searchlight" system used for commercial fishing. Both straight-down, and a radar-like scanning feature in one ducer and one sounder unit.

sparky":153jp5mz said:
maxout":153jp5mz said:
Not quite. The high-speed fairing models just come with a fairing that keeps the transducer working at higher speeds.
Dual Frequency, speed, temperature are addons that can be part of ANY transducer.
In general, you won't get speed on a through-hull.
Dual frequency capability is nice, as is temp. The biggest thing to look for is a transducer that meets or exceeds your sounder's power output. More power=more depth at a specific frequency. Lower Freq will get you deeper, especially through the thermocline in the summer.

I had this one on my last boat and is one of many with Speed, Temp & Dual Frequency.

B744VL Long Stem Thru-hull

Features:
Depth/Speed/Temp
50/200 kHz
600 W RMS
Mid-performance
Bronze

The B744VL’s extended stem length provides the extra height needed for steep deadrise vessels or thick hulled wooden boats. Drill only one hole in a boat and run only one cable! Our TRIDUCER® multisensor models feature depth, speed, and temperature in a single bronze or stainless steel stem.

IMHO, If you fish and you are going to spend big $$ For a single frequency through hull go the extra mile and and get all the extra features in one. Easier to install than seperate units and gives you more accurate water temp & speed than a transom mounted. :wink:

If you are fishing in really deep water and need more power I would go with a dual sensor set up without the fairing. (see picture below)

Attachments

• B45_fairing_hi1.jpg
    B45_fairing_hi1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 344
  • ss264n.jpg
    ss264n.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 342

Latest posts

Back