Speaking of "gaffing"

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gaff kings all the time unless they are really small and don't reach the legal limit. I will the grab them by the tail to release them. I can tell you, you don't want to try grabbing a big king by hand or you will end up with a hand full of hooks or teeth. Most live bait king rigs entail using a "stinger hook" as kings have a habit of biting a bait in half. Regardless of which hook gets you the other(s) are liable to get you. If fishing for large kings with big live baits one may need three of more trailing hooks. A lot of steel to get you.

since when is it a bad idea to gaff tuna? obviously i am not going to gaff a fish once i have my over/under in the box or if its a boarder line schoolie, which you can then net or leader over the side. but i have fished (and caught) more than enough tuna that find the gaff. just hit em in the head and you dont hurt the meat. i dont know too many other ways to get a 80+ lb tuna over the side... i dont mean to come off criticizing, if others have different techniques, i am all for new ways. also, we have a section of resturant kitchen floor matt that is like 3/4" inch thick and 4'x3' that we keep in deck to lay the fish down on so they dont get scuffed up on the non-slip deck. its a cheap way to help out the catch and release situation.

FishAC":3sq0x6yq said:
since when is it a bad idea to gaff tuna? obviously i am not going to gaff a fish once i have my over/under in the box or if its a boarder line schoolie, which you can then net or leader over the side. but i have fished (and caught) more than enough tuna that find the gaff. just hit em in the head and you dont hurt the meat. i dont know too many other ways to get a 80+ lb tuna over the side... i dont mean to come off criticizing, if others have different techniques, i am all for new ways. also, we have a section of resturant kitchen floor matt that is like 3/4" inch thick and 4'x3' that we keep in deck to lay the fish down on so they dont get scuffed up on the non-slip deck. its a cheap way to help out the catch and release situation.

i wasnt referring to gaffing tuna in general, thats the way we always do it. but if you hit a tuna where that king got stuck, youre going to have either a bent gaff, or youre going to be waving goodbye to it as it swims off with the rest of the tuna. tail shots tend to piss off the tunas. :wink:

gotcha, gotcha, gotcha...my mistake, i completely misunderstood you. i was thinking to myself, "how do they get tuna in the boat???" i was hoping you had some sweet new technique...hahhaha
happy holidays

FishAC":uogmvgc3 said:
gotcha, gotcha, gotcha...my mistake, i completely misunderstood you. i was thinking to myself, "how do they get tuna in the boat???" i was hoping you had some sweet new technique...hahhaha
happy holidays

hardly, haha... but that was the first gaffing technique i learned... dad screaming "hit 'im in the head, d@mmit, hit 'im in the head!!!"

happy holidays to yu as well :)

optimaxfish":1wccjet5 said:
gw204":1wccjet5 said:
I don't think I'd be holding that fish up so it's teeth were right at crotch level...

.....especially after just performing a proctology exam on a king!

That was my first thought...but then I couldn't remember if that's where the discharge port was on a king or not. I thought it was before the fins.

Either way, it's a no win situation for both parties involved. :)

Back