Spot Light vs. Search Light vs. Flood Light ???

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReelTimeCapt

Reaction score
I've read several excellent posts on the best locations to install Spot Lights and am planning to run wires this weekend on my 1230 W/A, ReelTime.

However, I'm not sure WHICH light is right for my use: My main use is to spot crab pots and debree on those late night trips in the Chesapeake Bay and its creeks.

Therefore, I'm looking for a light with equally good flood and spot capabilites (i think) so that I can safely navigate up to 100 or 200 feet in front of the boat.

Those of you who have Spot Lights installed, what can you share on this issue of Spot Light vs. Search Light vs. Flood Light ???

Thank you and Best Regards to All,
ReelTimeCapt <><

Attachments

• pb260028web_178.jpg
    pb260028web_178.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,812
I would not recommend what I have.... I was reminded of this the other night wishing I had something: 1. brighter 2. faster 3. mounted to have less light polution on the bow and bow railing.

I have the RCL 100 and it is usefull.... a neat installation... looks cool....

anothercloseup.jpg

It is a 200,000 candela and is just not bright enough for what I want.... it is great for sweeping looking for markers and boats (the ones without lights)

Check here for a couple possibiities....

http://www.acrelectronics.com/

I like the looks of the RCL 300A... should definitely be bright enough.

I would like one of those hand operated lights seen on cop cars.... would be great for fast sweeps.

I'm also interested in opinions. I think I'll leave my current light there and add something else.

Richard

I wanted a spot/flood combination light. Spot to pick up bouys & other markers and flood to watch for debis which I run in a lot at night after rains or floods. Some ads were deceptive as they looked like spot/flood lights but were really only spot.

I ended up a few months ago buying a Guest Beamer Remote Control Spot/Flood Model 503-1 with 100W spot and 55 watt flood. I bought it at tigergps.com.

The model I bought has the joystick control which I have been used to for years and I mounted it on the console in easy reach for my right hand.

I mounted the light high to get the glare off the front deck and to be able to swing it to light up the stern too. I think mine swings 350 degrees.

The wiring that came with it reached my console even after going aft on the roof and then down the aft starboard corner of the pilot house.

I like what I got for my boat.

Good luck in your search,

.............Pete

Attachments

• top view from port (Small).JPG
    top view from port (Small).JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,777
Thanks for the feedback on the choice of lights, as it sounds like in each case, there are tradeoffs.

Below you'll see my proof of concept for where and how to mount the light(s): I've chosen to make a mount out of Starboard. I plan to mount the Search Light on Top and (2) 55W Halogen Floods on the bottom. The Spot and Floods will each have their own fused circuit with independent switches. For the mount, I will use a sandwiched triple layer of 0.5" Starboard, with the middle layer conforming to the contour on my bow rail and the 2 outer layers 0.5 “ more in width and routed with a semi cut cove pattern so that they conform to bow rail nice and tight.

All in all, I’m looking for a small foot print on the whole assembly. I would mount it on my hardtop, but that would put ReelTime’s overall height above 9 feet which would cost a lot more to Dry Store. Also, it sounds like the glare on the bow and bow rail are an issue to be reckoned with…

Let me know any other feedback, as I’m not totally set on this and am never too proud to learn from those who have experience to share.

Thanks again,
RTC <><

Attachments

• BowPulpitLightMount_ReelTime.jpg
    BowPulpitLightMount_ReelTime.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,756
Couple of comments. Years ago I had a hand operated roof light and it worked fine but was only a spot light. New motors and controls make the new ones better in my mind over the hand operated. And I suspect I might bang my head on the inside hand control depending on where it is mounted.

I am a bit freaky about my forward vision when operating the boat. I have no electronics blocking any forward vision. If I were mounting things on the bow rail or even the bow, I would mock them up with some cardboard and then see what they do to my forward vision - day and night if possible. Something on the bow can black out a fair sized sector like a big piece of black pie enless I bounce my head from side to side.

Finally, I have seen a number of boats with fore and aft searchlights each with their own controls. One could stay shining on the rocks to port for instance while the other one did it's work forward.

May your lights be bright,

.............Pete

The higher the mount, like you show on the hardtop the better. Cheaper ones can have to much glare.

The brand you are looking at is good.

There have been threads on this before.

I have the Jabsco, not recommended.

Dana

greatcir":19bxnkgs said:
...I am a bit freaky about my forward vision when operating the boat. I have no electronics blocking any forward vision. If I were mounting things on the bow rail or even the bow, I would mock them up with some cardboard and then see what they do to my forward vision - day and night if possible. Something on the bow can black out a fair sized sector like a big piece of black pie enless I bounce my head from side to side.

.............Pete

What about mounting a fixed flood, beneath the pulpit...hanging upside down? Assuming you pick one with a plastic housing and cover all the connections with silicon sealant to keep the saltwater out of the connection, it should last a few years.

Dave

That's a good idea, Porkchunker. I may have to give that some serious thought!

Thanks for all great feedback.

RTC <><

Whatever you do, do not buy the ACR75 and mount it on the front edge of your hard top. The glare this thing throws off is horrible. I can't run at night with it on. I made a big mistake and have to take her off one of these days.

That is quite a design RTC! :wink:

We have search lights on our rescue boats at work, and the glare off of the bow railing was a BIG problem.
At first, the first light was mounted to the t-top, but that caused too much glare on deck.
The light was then moved to the furthest point forward on the bow...

We still had to black out some of the bow railing with electrical tape to cut down on night blindness. :(

On my boat, I have a handheld. It's a 1,000,000 candlepower WorkForce Sportspot rechargeable that I got at Home Depot.
3 seasons now and still going strong, and a single charge has been lasting me all season.
:)

I have a remote and can direct the light 360 and up and down.. Works great.

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,632
Thanks for the feedback and ideas! Below is my latest shift in thinking... This custom bracket will easily fit to the top and fold forward for storage so that I do not exceed the 9 foot height at my dry storage. The extra height is a plus and the set back will negate the glare issue.

The amount os setback needs to be determined, as it sounds like the way light bends and refracts around the edges of the bow rail, fiberglass and other material, makes placement tricky.

Instead of being an exact science, it’s going to take a few calculations, some empirical testing and trial and error.

This weekend, I did a mock up on one idea and will head down to the boat later this week and evaluate the design.

Thanks for the feedback and let you know how this desgn works out.

Best Regards to all,
RTC<><

Attachments

• HardtopLightMount_ReelTime.jpg
    HardtopLightMount_ReelTime.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,604
RTC - not sure these photos will help, but I got a few to actually take at night coming in last week.

In the forward facing shot, you can see no reflection on the deck - just on the railing where it is focused. When facing aft, it can illuminate my motor and of course astern of that or to both sides.

Hope you are getting closer to happy solution,

..............Pete

Attachments

• Search & flood light facing fwd. (Small).jpg
    Search & flood light facing fwd. (Small).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,459
  • Search & Flood Light facing aft (Small).jpg
    Search & Flood Light facing aft (Small).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,459
  • Search & flood light facing aft 2 (Small).jpg
    Search & flood light facing aft 2 (Small).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,459