Stalls running from can no alarms. Evinrude 200HP Yr. 2000

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JET O_Wey

Reaction score
Prep boat at home, running off the hose seems fine, run for 15 minutes. Trailor to marina for launch then stalls while underway in 5 minutes. Sample of gas looked fine.

Noticed bulb collapsing – replaced that and ran a new fuel line straight (bypassing fuel line section going to the below deck separator) to the main 150 gal tank – no luck.

Replaced the fuel filter on the engine.

Starts then dies out after a few minutes. Then ran it out of a 1 gal gas can with fresh gas, starts ok then dies after a few minutes. If put in gear the small load kills it. No alarms of flashing lights which signal codes.

Any help appreciated.

JET O_Wey":3fyjcdph said:
Noticed bulb collapsing – replaced that and ran a new fuel line straight (bypassing fuel line section going to the below deck separator) to the main 150 gal tank – no luck.
Sounds like your fuel VENT is blocked, try leaving the fuel fill open and take her for a run, if she doesn't stall you were starving her for fuel, as if/when air can't replace the fuel being consumed, no further fuel can be delivered to the motor. Watch this carefully as you diagnose her, as a lean condition is starving the engine of oil, as well as fuel ...

I can hear the pump fill when first turning the key Bent. I actually did try the gas cap off and disconnected the vent at the hull. Still stalled out - no chnage. It did look very corroded in fact broke off as I poked around with it. I did not disconnect the 5/8 vent hose at the tank or replace it so could be the issues. I did run it out of a 1 gal gas can thinking that would eliminate the vent issue - is this correct logic?

Thanks so much Brent and Dale for your thoughts - don't want to write off this season.

Regards,

JET

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 306
  • Old bulb.png
    Old bulb.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 306
I was thinking pin point leak in fuel pump diaphragm and it is recommended to keep primer bulb vertical with the exit end pointing towards the sky. Bulbs vary in quality and good ones are on ebay.
Follow up with Dale's comments first and you may need to replace fuel and vent hoses. Post an update.

Replacement bulb pic attached - good? Does this troubleshooting (pic) eliminate vent issues?

Point exit end of bulb upwards - in other words - the arrow direction toward the engine point up?

Thanks for any guidance.

JET

Attachments

• Bulb Atwood.png
    Bulb Atwood.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 297
  • trouble shoot gas can.png
    trouble shoot gas can.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 297
  • gas fill & vent.png
    gas fill & vent.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 297
  • gas fill & vent.png
    gas fill & vent.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 297
  • gas line disconnected - indicator - unused fuel connect.png
    gas line disconnected - indicator - unused fuel connect.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 297
that primer bulb is considered low quality

Use a Yamaha or check archives for ones on ebay

The primer bulb needs to be parallel (|| with the exit end pointing to the sky. bulb has valves inside the ends and to work properly the orentiation is important) with the transom or 90 degrees to the deck like a beverage can sitting on deck. THe open end is pointing to the sky

What condition are the hoses?

You need to check the metal or plastice vent on the side of the hull. It may be blocked and needs to be cleaned or if plastic , maybe repalced if rotten

Sorry there are several items to check

Whatever needs to be done I’ll have to do.

Could you kindly comment on the troubleshooting pic of the gas can - is this a good test to isolate issues.

That hose in the pic is band new (first time using it was for that test.) For the purposes of the test the vent would be no issue (right?)

That metal vent piece as you can see in the earlier pics was very corroded and I broke it off by just poking around.

Thanks again Brent.

Is there a check I could do for the pin point leak in the fuel pump diaphram. What it the repair like?

Regards,

$750 for a new pump, I think I'll try a repair if that is the problem.

The new primer bulb was a problem but not 'the' problem. Does seem to be fuel pump related. Starts ok then fails, will choke out once a load is applied (put in gear while tied at the dock.)

How involved to remove pump and rework? Cant afford a new pump right now. I do hear a wrirring noise while running - seems like the pump is still trying to fill or prime...??

Is there a way to test the fuel pump? Would a test be done on the engine or remove it? Can't seem to find any rework kit, is there a replacement diaphram for a pump - part number 5004429.

A gentleman from another site suggested maybe try the fuel lift pump first. Example part # 500885. Thoughts?

On my Yamaha I have 2 electric pumps (low and high one in VST) voltage can be checked for each. Low pressure pump can be checked by emptied the vst tank and remove the fuel hose and use a can to catch gas then turn the key. It should run continuous. But the first thing to check is remove cowling., turn key on, pumps should be energize for 3 seconds then turn off. You can hear it. The high pressure pump can be checked using fuel pressure Guage on fuel manifold.... this pump has a screen on the bottom pump which can clog filter partially or totally. ..most folks replace this filter just a plastic ring or cup with a fine screen that fits over the bottom of the pump.. SIM Yamaha has a good tutorial and took us a couple of hours to replace. ...afterwards check the pressure before checking the injectors. ..YDS diagnostic software will not help alot in this case

Back