Standard-Horizon HSX270 vs HSX280 handheld VHF's

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muleski

Reaction score
Could somebody please give me a quick idea of the difference between the "older" 270 and the "newer" 280. I've also seen it advertised as the HSX280 and the HSX280S...presume there's only one. Much appreciated. Thanks.

The 280 has a 1650 mAh Li-Ion battery, the 270 has a 1400mAh Ni-MH.
The 270 has 1/2.5/5 watt settings, the 280 only has 1/5.
The 270 comes with an alkaline (AAA) tray, AC/DC Chargers, and a cradle. The 280 only comes with the chargers and cradle, no alkaline tray.

I've used several 270's, and that's still my choice. Rock-solid reliability and very durable. The alkaline tray is a must-have in my eyes. I always have AA and AAA batteries with me, in my ditch bag. I don't have a 12v source, or 120VAC source with me... if I have to ditch, I want to be able to keep the radio going.

Thanks for the help. Ordered a 270 today. $68 plus shipping.

Got my 270 about a week ago. Very pleased so far. The only thing that I need to get used to is the squelch control. First handheld that I've bought in a few years, and the first without a squelch knob. Overall, pretty great piece of equipment for $70! Good range, good sound quality, no frills. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

The squelch is the only drawback, but I usually set it around 6, and don't touch it.

Latest posts

Back