Starter Problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPScott

Reaction score
Hello-

I just drove home with my starter engaged. The key apparently did not spring back like it should.

Now my starter doesn't work, no noise at all. I checked the one obvious fuse, under the cowling. Its a Yamaha 90HP, 2-stroke.

What do you think went bad? Anybody had this experience?

Thanks for any advice-
Scott, Parker 1801 (1991)

Low cranking voltage while cranking will do that. If still engaged, turn flywheel in typical rotation so that the Bendix gear drops out. Re-try. If no cranking from the starter and it is not a fuse, rap on the starter body housing with a plastic mallet or hardwood block whilst trying to crank it. If it works when doing that, that is a sure sign that the brushes in the starter are worn. Try a rebuild at a local generator/starter place, as long as the housing isn't too corroded and can be taken apart, as this will be 1/4 to 1/3rd the price of a new starter if not better.

OK, thanks for the ideas Dale. Hopefully I can get to work on it Friday. I wanted to go fishing Friday, but that doesn't look too likely now.

I am thinking the ignition switch caused the problem. When I got to the dock I turned the key off, nothing happened. Then I noticed I was still in the ON position, so I turned it one more notch, then it went off. Guess I need to buy a new ignition switch too.

OPScott":1m8veplr said:
I am thinking the ignition switch caused the problem. When I got to the dock I turned the key off, nothing happened. Then I noticed I was still in the ON position, so I turned it one more notch, then it went off. Guess I need to buy a new ignition switch too.
Not so fast ... your problem might just be the keyswitch itself!

Back