Steering delay Yamaha F250

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tito

Reaction score
Took my 2320 out after a couple months of not using her. I had a huge steering delay practically 2 full turns before a “click” and then it would engage and turn. This went on for about 15-20 minutes until I was out of the harbor and running. It totally went away afterwards. Anybody know how to fix this. Air bubble in the hydraulic system? Not enough hydraulic fluid.
Thanks in advance !

The valves in the helm may have been sticking. Take the wheel lock to lock and see if it has a firm stop. There will be a little movement from flex in the lines: but, it shouldn't be squishy. If it's squishy, it's time to bleed the system.

The valves in the helm may have been sticking. Take the wheel lock to lock and see if it has a firm stop. There will be a little movement from flex in the lines: but, it shouldn't be squishy. If it's squishy, it's time to bleed the system.
Trying to understand. So you mean turn the wheel all the way to the right then left and see how it feel when it hits the end? If it’s squishy or it stops hard? Can I do this when the motor is on the trailer?
thx for the help!

Took my 2320 out after a couple months of not using her. I had a huge steering delay practically 2 full turns before a “click” and then it would engage and turn. This went on for about 15-20 minutes until I was out of the harbor and running. It totally went away afterwards. Anybody know how to fix this. Air bubble in the hydraulic system? Not enough hydraulic fluid.
Thanks in advance !
I'd recommend bleeding the system first. It's an easy, clean job with the right equipment. (I've got two videos posted on Youtube that shows the basics (all my videos are 'basic' !☺)....
I think you were very lucky that day. I lock-to-lock check my steering every time I use the boat, before I leave the lift. Kinda like 'pre-flight' checking all control parts on an airplane...

Last edited:
Trying to understand. So you mean turn the wheel all the way to the right then left and see how it feel when it hits the end? If it’s squishy or it stops hard? Can I do this when the motor is on the trailer?
thx for the help!

Yes with the motor trimmed down, turn all the way to port and see how it feels. Then turn all the way to starboard and see how it feels. If it stops the wheel the valves were stuck open and they have closed. If it's squishy there is air in the system. If the wheel continues to turn with the engine hard over the valve are stuck open or there is a lot of air in the helm reservoir and/or no oil in there.

It should act like this video I did.

View attachment 66749250071__B808DD1D-F7C3-4EC7-BE16-B5DAEA44D0EF.MOV

Back