Steering problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipstream

Reaction score
I've been prepping my '07 23se for launch and noticed the engine (in its up position) was to the starboard. I had been working on the boat yesterday and left the engine in the straight ahead position, so this was odd. I turned the wheel to straighten the engine to the port, no problem yet. But when I turn the wheel to the starboard again, I get nothing. My steering wheel just spins. But to the port, it seems to have normal resistance. It's all the way to the port now, so it's kind of hard to tell.

I had the yard go through everything 2 weeks ago before I picked her up, and I know they serviced the hydrolic steering. Any thoughts on the issue?

I have a '04 XL and have had the same problem as Grouper Jim. In the fall the last 2 years when the temps dip into the 30's-40's my engine will not turn when I turn my wheel counterclockwise. You can hear the spring when turning the wheel slowly. As jim said, when the temps rise it works again although you can still hear the spring in the check valve. My engine also drifts to one side when left up for the week. Thanks for the info on how to fix both problems. Great site. :)

This is really helpful. And you gotta love posting a question, having breakfast, and coming back to an answer.

Interesting change of events. I was getting ready to take things apart when I cranked my wheel a little harder to the left and then back to the right and all worked fine again? Must be magic. Or the system fearing my incompetent mechanical skills.

Has anyone used a brake bleeder to bleed the system? I've read the old posts and it's not been mentioned. I have a bleeder that I use (or at least used to) for my car brakes and I think it would work well.

Also, where's the best place to get the SeaStar Hydraulic Fluid, part# HA5430? Is it stocked at West Marine?

Thanks

Back