Steering stops at center when turning wheel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afitzray

Reaction score
While I'm steering, my motors stop at the center when turning slowly but will continue if I give it a hard push. I thought I just had an issue with low fluid or or a bubble but purged and filled yesterday. If I turn the wheel quickly it's working great, but if I turn it slowly the motors will stop when they're centered even if I keep turning the wheel. It's not as much of an issue in open water but it makes things interesting as I slowly work my way back through the marina to my slip. I'm looking ahead as I plot my course and think I'm making slight adjustments but suddenly I realize the input from the steering wheel is not translating to the motors. After I did the bubble purge I was testing lock to lock and noticed everything is fine when steering with some speed, but if I'm moving the wheel slower, the steering will turn the motors until they're centered then it just quits even though the wheel is turning.

The steering is a single ram seastar. Is there a valve that switches in the helm or the ram as the motors cross the center point? Or what else can I do to diagnose/fix.

Thanks

I could be the valves in the helm sticking. What happens if you shake the wheel side to side when you're in the dead spot? By that I mean turn the wheel back and forth.

Back