Stereo / Speaker installation on 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croixboy

Reaction score
I’ve seen some posts questioning where to mount the stereo and speakers on center consoles so I thought I would share what I did on my 1801. With limited space on the 1801, I went with the new Clarion CMS1 stereo.
I was looking for a “Black Box”, to mount under the console, with “waterproof” command unit setup. I wanted to listen to the IPOD (while being charged). I also want to listen to local AM/FM stations. And, I didn’t want to spend a fortune. The CMS1 was perfectly suited for my needs. It does have Sirius, AUX IN, and USB capability which I don’t need right now. It does not have a CD changer which I didn’t want anyway. The Black Box was easy to mount under the console.
June2009061.jpg

I mounted the command unit flush on my console.
June2009050.jpg

The Command unit was easy to mount. One hole through the console for the cable and 4 screws that attach the unit. It has big easy to read buttons. Navigation from “IPOD” to AM/FM is very intuitive. The controls are very easy to use. I plugged in the optional IPOD cable and ran it to my glove box. The song name and artist scrolls across the command unit when a song is played on the IPOD. The IPOD charges when it's plugged in.

June2009060.jpg

I installed a pair of JL Audio MX650-CCX-CG-WH speakers up front.
First cut the holes …
June2009052.jpg

That wood and glass is ¾” thick up there.
June2009053.jpg

I put some West Epoxy on the edges of the exposed wood. Then let dry overnight.
June2009054.jpg

Here are the speakers installed.
June2009056.jpg

No Amplifier at this time, and I don’t think I’m going to need one because this setup rocks. I can’t believe the sound it puts out without any distortion when cranked up. I’m very pleased.

Cost of the system was under $500 bucks.

Clarion CMS1 $220.00
JL Audio Speakers $168.00
Antenna Splitter $ 37.00
Speaker Wire $40.00

Here is the console with Clarion CMS1 installed.
June2009058.jpg

looks real good. i'll bet it sounds great.

does the usb interface take a thumb drive full of mp3's?
also is the usb port on the face of the unit or on the back?
i can't really see from the photos.

i'm sold on the usb thumbdrive approach rather than cds/ or ipod interface.

Bookmarking this one. Nice job and a good price. How long are the connections between the control unit and the black box? I would love to put the black box inside the cabin out of the elements.

Mr Geeze ... Yes, the usb is set up to take a thumb drive full of MP3's. It has a usb pigtail off the back of the black box. You can see it in my black box picture above if you look real hard. It has a cap on the usb when not in use.
Parkerman ... The manual says the cable between the black box and command unit is 10' long. Mine is all coiled up because I only needed about 2 ft.
Megabyte ... Thanks!

Back