Stress Cracks

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2fish

Reaction score
I was cleaning the boat yesterday and noticed some spiderweb stress cracks along near the top of the rub rail on both sides of the boat. These are located between the first and second support leg on the rails on both sides. I was a bit surprised because I didn't think that area would really get much stress. I have numerous other small hairline stress cracks, some in the deck, some near the where battery boxes meet the transom. I don't think any of these are really indicative of the boat falling apart but I am concerned that the gelcoat may not be that great. My boat is a 2005 and is kept in a barn most of the time. I've owned it since 2008.

Here are a few pictures. I also found some stress cracking on the ScanStrut Powertower that I installed last February. It seemed to be structurally fine but I am concerned. I don't beat the boat (actually I try to take it easy) but I do trailer a lot.

Thoughts and is this something that is worth repairing?

I did send an email to ScanStrut to see what their warranty covers.

Steve

Attachments

• Port side.jpg
    Port side.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 290
  • Starboard side.jpg
    Starboard side.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 291
  • ScanStrut.jpg
    ScanStrut.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 291
I have some stress cracks around a couple of the bases of the bow rail, and some aft in the cockpit area behind the rub rail.
I attribute them all to the previous owner who I know was a little rough on her at times.
I'm sure the ones at the base of the bow railings are from striking a dock at one point, and the ones aft look exactly like she was laid up on some pilings without adequate fender protection and wave action or boat wakes caused her to strike the pilings.

Having said that, I've owned the boat since 2003 and none of the gelcoat cracks have ever gotten worse.
Gelcoat is brittle and will crack under tension, but the fiberglass underneath should be fine.

Honestly, I don't worry about it. I call them 'character marks' and just keep those areas clean and waxed.
I know the flaws are there, but I don't worry about them much. 8)

I didn't think it was a big deal but the location kind if surprised me. I don't recall seeing them before. I'll finish waxing ANC cleaning tomorrow. Hope to go fishing next weekend.

Steve

Latest posts

Back