Stuck Seacock

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
My boat is in the water on a mooring. I noticed yesterday that I can't close one of the seacocks. It is the holding tank discharge line. I know... I should have checked it before the boat was launched... next year. Anyway, I resisted the urge to get a hammer and try to force the lever. I suppose I could leave it open all summer and address it in the fall, but I understand the risks. I could have the boat hauled now to address it, but that will cost me a minimum of $360 for a short-term. Would WD40 be of any use? Any thoughts? Thanks.

I would live it until it is hauled
Is it an one piece unit or is the valve threaded to the hull fitting?

I would be careful working on it in the water without a backup plan esp if breaks open (OCNW oh crap now what) Can you plug it on the hull side first?
that said
try penetrating oil (I am brand neutral) and allow to soak for days
Tapping not striking the sides of valve and not the handle with a hammer or block of wood
Striking is like a knocking on the front door
Loosing the packing nut and use a breaker bar made from plumbing steel pipe on the handle and apply leverage gently, remember OCNW
I dont know the amount of free space for the bar so it need to be cut to length.
I usually would try heat with a torch if in a house but too dangerous in a boat

Lastly if any these "ideas" work, it might not fully close the valve.
Maye adding a ball valve after the seacock would work as a temp

I would pull the boat and make any necessary repairs.
Good rule of thumb is to close down all seacocks when boat is not in use.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Tom

I would rather err on the safe side. What is it going to cost if it sinks... yeah, it is probably ok, but... I want to sleep good at night. just my .02.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if it was the WD40 or "divine intervention", but I got the seacock closed ! Perhaps I will be able to sleep tonight.

Back