Sunscreen Stains!!!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonesome Drift

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Having a pretty serious issue here and I think aerosol sunscreen is to blame. I am getting nasty orange stains on my gelcoat on the gunwales and the front side of the livewell under the helm chairs. I've cleaned the boat 3 times and can't get rid of it. Has anybody experienced this before? Any suggestions?? On/Off? FSR? I am pulling the boat next week to do maintenance and will also do a full detail.

Also, can anybody recommend a high quality compound/wax? I have been using Maguire's one step and this season it seems like it hasn't held up well.

Appreciate any input! Thanks!

- Mike

Brent":1yjf83ay said:
Does it go away in several days after cleaning with soapy water?

I used cleaner and wax first, then a top coat of pure wax. This time, I used up items in the garage and next time switching to Collonite cleaner wax then top coat of wax which is highly rated

I'm hoping that a few days in the sun will fade the staining and then I can use on/off or something similar to remove whatever remains. Collonite looks like a good two step cleaner and wax. I also have heard great things about woody wax.

- MIke

Yes, aerosol sunscreen leaves nasty orange stains. Usually with crisp feet outlined so you can figure out who the culprit was :). This happens every time our son takes people out on one of our Parkers - we don't use the stuff.

To get it off we simply use Clorox Cleanup, which takes most of it off, then the sun takes care of the rest. We have also used purple degreaser on occasion and it worked similarly.

MV Tall Tails":3oztm8cu said:
Yes, aerosol sunscreen leaves nasty orange stains. Usually with crisp feet outlined so you can figure out who the culprit was :). This happens every time our son takes people out on one of our Parkers - we don't use the stuff.

To get it off we simply use Clorox Cleanup, which takes most of it off, then the sun takes care of the rest. We have also used purple degreaser on occasion and it worked similarly.

Thanks. I have purple power at home and it's cheap so that's good. and I went out and picked up collonite cleaner/wax and woody wax so i'll wash, compound, and then wax the hull with the collonite and then hit everything inside w/ the woody wax.

- Mike

Back