Swapping out the Plow Anchor for a Danforth

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realtor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2021 2520 XLD I'm tired of the plow not hooking. Going back to a Danforth. What size should I go to in order to anchor the boat...?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Note the Flukes turned UP...... Looks strange....Doesn't it ?

Why would you do that?

Simple.... It gives more clearance on the winch stand when storing the anchor on the Pulpit. If you don't they can collide when loading boat.

Attachments

• 100_5158.JPG
    100_5158.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 3
I agree with warthog5 on the Fortress FX18 - it's what I have on my 2520 XLD. There was a comparison done a few years back of anchor holding power in the Chespeake Bay and the Fortress won hands down. I'll try to find the article and post a link.

Pic on1 is what I'm looking for, Pic 2 is what I get.... every time here in the yard the danforth comes into the roller and guide, then flips on its side. I stop in order to not gouge up the fiberglass pulpit with the flukes... (I don't have the same pulpit as in Pic 2.)

maxresdefault.jpg

361265308_6951274924887439_7104139209117661937_n.jpg

Mine always recovers just like this. BTW, mine is the FX11, not the FX18. It is plenty of anchor for my boat in all conditions I anchor in.
View attachment 37417

Hummm, not sure how the anchor material would make it recover differently. every time I did it yesterday it came in sideways. The small things confuse me terribly some times...

Chain is the key to anchor hold...The chain keeps the anchor flat to the bottom so it doesn't lift up and pull loose.. The chain should be at least as long as the boat and on small boats, longer is better. For the mixed sand and rock bottom at Catalina island, I found the claw grabs better than a Danforth I previously used.

Check what's less expensive 5 fathoms of chain or changing the farmerTed tool?

Back