taking on water through scuppers, what to do?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panga

Reaction score
I have been having an issue with taking on water when weighted down through the scuppers on my 2520SC. Basically when off shore tuna fishing I bring a commercial fishing half tote with me that I fill with flake ice, I also have 60 gal of water in my mid deck live bait tank, full tank of 173 gallons of fuel, and usually 4 guys, plus any fish weight we have caught, which could easily be a few hundred pounds. With this combination water begins to flood in through the scuppers. Normal problem with this is, beside the alarming effect of a few inches of water on the deck, my fish boxes are in deck boxes that are not the best design in my opinion, and flood with sea water instantly melting all my ice and warming the fish up, real pain in the but when Im trying to keep my catch in pristine condition.

What should I do hear? I am going to pull the boat to investigate this weekend, it has always happened, but seemed slightly worse last trip, although we had more fish then normal. Really alarmed me when my high water alarm went off last trip from water seeping around the deck hatch. I bought a set of those scupper covers with the floating ping pong ball inside that keeps water from flooding in but lets it drain at west marine and am considering them, but not sure as they seem like a pain to clean out, I guess if I go that route I will need some type of screen to cover scupper inside opening and keep fishing line out.

Anyone delt with this before?

Put on BALL scuppers, go w/ the ones by T-H Marine, over Rabuds, as the T-H models have a quick twist-off feature to easily keep it clean.

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but why not throw a plug in them while you're fishing? ...provided of course that 1). you can remove it quickly if needed and 2). don't forget to take them out when you leave the boat?

Photoguy":2206f6md said:
Maybe this is a dumb idea, but why not throw a plug in them while you're fishing?
Not a dumb idea, but believe me ... using ball scuppers prevents ALL water intake through the scuppers. I like them so much ... I wish I was the inventor!

FMS-1-0%20Flow%20Max%20Scupper%20ball%20scupper%20installed_500x275%20content%20insert.jpg

Dale do you ever have issues with obstructions/clogs, I was thinking of using some stainless screen and making some covers for inside of scuppers. Ive been on boats that have had clogs and it was a pain, the layout of the 2520 with swimsteps dont exactly make it easy to get at them when the boat is in the water.

panga":13l65hzl said:
... the layout of the 2520 with swimsteps dont exactly make it easy to get at them when the boat is in the water.
Homestly, I checked them at least once a season, but otherwise haven't pulled anything out of them. I'm sure you could rig a SS screen on the inside portion of the scuppers.

The ball scupers are a bandaid, the issue is too much weight, add more floatation to your bracket, carry less weight, redistribute weight or get a bigger boat.

samsims":1gz4s39k said:
The ball scupers are a bandaid, the issue is too much weight, add more floatation to your bracket, carry less weight, redistribute weight or get a bigger boat.
True ... but note the OP's use where this happens is temporary ... and remedied when that extra weight is removed.

Personally I doubt anyone would burn a full tank and w/ E10 fuels, no more should be carried than will be used, plus emergency & reserve of course.

I had samne issue with a GW 24, with very little on board! Go with the ball valves as Dale suggested but move as much weight fwd as you can. Problem with fishing is most of your weight ends up at the transom. Boat weight ratings (unrealistically I think) assume boat will be loaded evenly, but who wants fish and ice in the v-berth! I would try and move less used tackle/ gear, tools etc fwd into the house. Even the ice, until you need it. Good luck.

I've seen it just at dock or rafting with people on the swim platform, transom boxes, cockpit hanging out.

All boats have a USCG rating for weight.
If you are rated for 10 people, at an average of 150#'s per person...
I think you can see that your fishing load exceeds the capacity of the boat.
That... is why your taking water through the scuppers.

I know the boat is riding heavy when we have fish and ice on the deck. Problems not at idle or drift with weight equally distributed it is when three guys are on a stern corner looking down at a fish before it hits the gaff... I am planning to put on the balls when I pull it for a bottom cleaning next week.

add more floatation to your bracket

I want to know how you plan to do that? :D Please don't tell me you would add foam inside the bracket?

You just carrying to much weight in the wrong spot's....It's very easy to overload these boats due to their giant cockpit.

There was a guy who added floatation the underside of his Armstrong bracket... Don't remember who but if u do a search might be able to find it....

I have a 2120 but I recently started putting the cooler and ice on the roof of the pilot house for more room. This might help you redistribute the weight a bit.

Steve

Back