Tautog and wrecks

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
After much work and cleaning this spring I'm out enjoying the fruits of my labor.

I'll probably take today off after spending most of the last two days on the water. We've had great fishing weather with winds around 10knts and temps around 65. Water temps have broken the 50 mark and fish are biting. Most people around here are going out after flounder but I've never been into them. So tautog is my target.

Kiptopeake: at the dock
4483033008_69ef1dc162_b.jpg

Thursday Karen went out with me and headed to a wreck about 3 or 4 miles off Fisherman Island in around 25 feet of water. The wreck is that of the Anglo African which was a very large freighter sunk in 1906. Some time after the sinking/stranding they had to blow it up to get knocked down closer to the sandy bottom.

Wreck fishing has been on my list of things to do and this was a first for me. We left the dock with four different anchors on board.

From Kiptopeake the wreck is about a 12 mile run. The weather was beatiful and there were dolphin scattered about and gannets following them.

concrete ships
4483028340_ea40267a8a_b.jpg

I had some GPS coordinates I found on the web and believe it or not they were exact! I ran right over the wreck the first pass. I then started some back and forth runs and within 10 minutes I tossed a wreck anchor over and hooked solid.

We fished with cut blue crab and 30 minutes into it I caught a 16 inch fish. Ten minutes later Karen caught a 19 inch tog. Now how easy can that be?

The tide was slowing and the bite stopped. We spent the next two hours trying different parts of the wreck but didn't even get a nibble. We called it a day and came home feeling good.

Yesterday I took a friend out back to the wreck and spent hours and hours looking for the right spot on the wreck to catch fish. It was almost as if Karen and I caught the only two fish out there..... Nothing! Not a nibble.. ughhh.

I learned more in two days about wrecks than I have in my life so that was good. I'll be going out there soon.. maybe Sunday.

Here are a few more pictures from Thursday.

nesting on the ships
4483036174_e12cb14e2b_b.jpg

close up
4483037730_f332b6ed86_b.jpg

what I was feeling after getting skunked on Friday
4482377647_54b10bc2e4_b.jpg

family fun at Kiptopeake
4482383363_71b8a88d35_b.jpg

Navy choppers
4482380811_a267d3d306_b.jpg

scouting for fish?
4483030906_0986fcd36b_b.jpg