Telescoping outrigger advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150dude

Reaction score
Any comments on these such as made by Taco would be appreciated. I just don't have a good feeling about them.
I am looking at them as I trailer my boat and was concerned about gas stations, bridges, etc.
dave

I had a set for awhile...they work well and are well constructed. I found it difficult to keep the halyards from becomong very tangled while they are collapsed...I strongly suggest rigging with heavy(2-300lb.) mono as it won't get as messy as nylon clothes line type of stuff.

I have seen guys mount long sections of large diameter PVC to their trailer frames. Each end has a screw on cap. All you do is remove one cap, slide the riggers in place fully extended and replace the cap. No tangles, no fuss.

"mount long sections of large diameter PVC to their trailer frames"

Now thats a trick idea....gonna look into that one!

I have a set of TACO GS 250 w/ 15' poles.

Well made and no problems so far. I keep them shortened to 2 sections most of the time and extend them at the dock if I'm planning to troll that day.

FWIW, I run 2 different color #400 mono with Hallock tensioning riggers.

I just switched to heavy-duty 1.5" Tacos this year off my roof-mounted Sport SLam type of mounts and I am very pleased. Many guides out of Chatham, MA runs these riggah poles from their CCs and no one has reported any problems.

I haven't had any tangling issues either, but I pull the stopper to the top section and use tension on it to 'pull' or collapse the other sections into each others, then I just cleat it off to a small jam cleat attached to the riggah base, loop coil the extra rode, and secure with a velcro strap thingy. Works great!

I had a set for a while, and broke two of the rigger poles. They just couldn't take the pounding.

I now have non-telescoping poles and haven't had a problem with them yet.

I've been running 15' tacos for a couple seasons on my 21dvcc. If you seach under my name there are a few pictures on here of the mount/weld job and how they look fully rigged. They have worked fine for me and I can regularly troll four squidbars off them double rigged. They make some type of cleat device you can mount on the pole itsef to manage the line when collapsed (line caddy or something), but I can pretty much double rig each pole in five minutes so it's not that big of a deal...

I Have the Top Gun 15 foot "Non Telescopic" and what I use while boat is being trailer or to Run Offshore long distance is a part made by Birdsall Marine which is called Offset Support,it comes in either 6" offset or 2" offset and are placed on the rod holders in your T-Top (if you have t-top),they are made of very heavy duty plastic and have worked great.

Robert

Latest posts

Back