The future of boating

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-K

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From time to time, I ponder on what the future holds for boating or offshore fishing.

With fuel prices outrageously high and reportedly going to get worse. Boats are still fetching a premium price. Lots of buyers have reported long waiting times for boats and builders are claiming supply chain shortages and being unable to secure needed parts, material, and components. Finding good labor presents another set of problems.

This last spring, I thought lots of boats would go on the market fall time of 2022. So far I’m not seeing that.

Do you ever wonder when the bubble will pop?

What’s going on in your local areas?

From time to time, I ponder on what the future holds for boating or offshore fishing.

With fuel prices outrageously high and reportedly going to get worse. Boats are still fetching a premium price. Lots of buyers have reported long waiting times for boats and builders are claiming supply chain shortages and being unable to secure needed parts, material, and components. Finding good labor presents another set of problems.

This last spring, I thought lots of boats would go on the market fall time of 2022. So far I’m not seeing that.

Do you ever wonder when the bubble will pop?

What’s going on in your local areas?
Hey A-K, interesting thoughts!... In our area, (Pungo/Pamlico Rivers, Pamlico/Albemarle Sounds and the dozens of adjoining creeks and bays) we've not seen a boating/fishing activity down-turn. In fact, there's been more activity this year much to the dismay of most of my fishing buddies. (Too Many New Fishermen In Our Area Coming From All Over the State, And Beyond!). I can't speak for offshore; I've not been this year, yet.
As for boat sales; new and used. No noticeable change. As for boat repairs/maintenance it IS hard getting some Yamaha parts, and some boat parts. And motor oil has gone up...
We've been through similar economic circumstances many times since the late 1960's-early 1970's. Through economic downturns it seems people want (need?) an escape from all this economic/political Bull-Crap. For many, that means holding on to our favorite 'pass-times' (boating/fishing/cruising) as long as we can. In 'bad-times' these favorite 'pass-times' in fact have increased importance in our lives.... In my wife's and my case, boating has always been the #1 shared activity, starting with both of us in the 1960's on family boats. Then, we bought our first boat together a few months after we got married (1975; She was 18, I just turned 22; she made me sell my motorcycle to buy the boat! Good move on her part; I wrecked a lot. ☺).... In the early 1970's the price of gas wasn't the issue; half the time, there was NO gas to buy! Rationing; or just able to buy a few gallons at a time, and then only Even/Odd days based on different numbering systems. I had to save/store gas in jars, cans, whatever!, just to save up enough gas to get home for Christmas. (NC to PA)... This summer our Valvtec Marine gasoline was over $6.00 /gallon. To fill the 200 gallon tank on our 2520 XLD is a $1200.00 expense. Ouch.....

Last edited:
Back