Time to re-do the Non Skid

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkerman

Reaction score
Well my non skid deck is officially skid. It is as smooth as my hull. I am going to start researching products now and thought I would see what others have used. I know I have seen several posts over the years so if you could remind me of what you all used it would save me from searching topics. My plan is to tackle this in the fall to stay away from the hot humid weather.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Well, here's a DIY Tutorial complete with pricing, specs, DIY info, and pictures ... using LPU paints like Awl Grip: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6718&p=47770

Having done it that way ... if i were to do it all over again ... I'd use gelcoat with non-skid imbedded or via the sand method.

I can't recommend any of the rubber-based paints ... they're crap from what I've seen.

DaleH":1kznn22f said:
I can't recommend any of the rubber-based paints ... they're crap from what I've seen.

Yea, member Warthog5 discovered that when he refurbished his Mako 23 with a custom built pilothouse.
He did a great job painting his decks, but the product he used just didn't hold up.
It was a shame because the boat looked beautiful before the paint began to peel.

Thanks Dale. I was hoping you would re-post your thread. I remember it being pretty complete. Now that your decks are two years old how are they holding up?

Thanks agian

Parkerman":3fb631p6 said:
Now that your decks are two years old how are they holding up?
I think I applied it a little 2 thick in areas, so I have a couple spots where the paint has cracked. Otherwise - where intact - it is flawless. That said, if I had to do another deck, I would go gelcoat over LPU.

I just did the floor on the 21' I have rebuilt and used Griptex Coarse mixed with gelcoat and rolled it on with a 3/8 nap roller. It did really well. You will need to sand your floor well and then wipe a couple times with acetone. Use a 1" painters tape around the edges and go for it. I mixed about 16 oz (volume) of Griptex per 1/2 gallon of gelcoat.

I used a product called KIWI GRIP so far so good. I do a lot of diving and its holding up great so far and the color matches up great as well. Very easy to put on as well.

I don't have any direct experience, but in the sailing community KIWI GRIP is getting a lot of attention for being less expensive than having a yard take off all the fittings (you can tape around with KIWI). It also is getting a reputation as a sturdy product.

As said, no direct experience!

Surface Interval":1dje1kr1 said:
I used a product called KIWI GRIP so far so good. I do a lot of diving and its holding up great so far and the color matches up great as well. Very easy to put on as well.

dave-j":1dje1kr1 said:
I don't have any direct experience, but in the sailing community KIWI GRIP is getting a lot of attention for being less expensive than having a yard take off all the fittings (you can tape around with KIWI). It also is getting a reputation as a sturdy product. As said, no direct experience!
Question is ... do you want to do it once right or re-do it every 3 or more seasons? Reviewing Kiwi Grip for durability, even the manufacturer says in regards to "How long it will hold up?" - about 3 years in heavy traffic areas. Those sailboats are only doing 'traffic pattern' areas up the washboards, so they're far easier to touch up than the cockpit of a Parker.

I've seen boats with properly applied agressive gelcoat non-skid last 20 seasons to the life of the boat! I 1st tried the West System paint (like Interdeck product by Interlux) and the LPU-paint method (System3) ... but if/when I do it again ... it will be gelcoat with non-skid additive for sure! Oh, those using Duraback seem less than satisfied, says it attracts and holds the dirt and tend to peel up at the edges.

dave-j":pmmo8yai said:
I don't have any direct experience, but in the sailing community KIWI GRIP is getting a lot of attention for being less expensive than having a yard take off all the fittings (you can tape around with KIWI). It also is getting a reputation as a sturdy product.

As said, no direct experience!

Dave-J

I can't tell you that the KIWI grip will last forever I have only had it on a few month, I do a lot of diving and its holding up great so far. I do know one thing it was easy to put on and for the cost it was worth it. I found a dive boat out of California that has it on their dive boat and they told me they love it and it holding up great as well, more use then a commercial dive boat I don't know. Look, at the end of the day, you have to be happy with whatever you use.

That's what I love about CP, everyone gives you different option and you do and go with whatever makes you happy.

Dive on,

Attachments

• parker.jpg
    parker.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 484
I got this from their main distributors web site: http://www.pachena.com/KiwiGrip_FAQs.asp

How long will KiwiGrip last?

This depends on your usage. If you are a weekender, you can expect 10 years or more on your decks and a couple years less in your high-traffic cockpit. If you’re a deck-scrubbing fanatic or live aboard, you might see 5 years between recoating your high-traffic areas. In terms of "use-days," you can expect about 1000 days using your boat.

In heavy use or commercial environments, even though the surface may wear away more quickly, it is easy to renew by simply washing well and applying a refresh to the high traffic areas.

Latest posts

Back