Topside wash/wax?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs

Reaction score
1995 2520.

What are you guys using to wash and wax topside? Top of my pilot house is a little chalky. My deck isnt chalky but can use a good detail. What's recommended?

I just was reading that strong detergents and bleach should be avoided on fiberglass surfaces, both of which I had been using..........DUH. Noticing a little Chalky appearance on my live well, I did some research and in reviews from "the Practical Sailor "and "the Hull Truth " I have just ordered Maguier's #50 Cleaner/Wax ( $23.47/32Oz.), and Mother's Marine Wash n Wax ( $15.34/32Oz. ) from "My Goods " on eBay.
I can tell you how they are working next week after I get to try them out.

I used to have a 1973 Egg Harbor that had heavy oxidation when I purchased it as a 15 year old boat. What we did there was used old patches made from cut up blue jeans which I would soak in a pail of water, and use 3-M heavy Duty Rubbing Compound while the patch was wet. By rubbing circular motion, the glass started cleaning up nicely. I would go back with more wet jeans patches, with out compound, and change out the water, never letting the section go dry. Eventually, I would just hose off the hull, and it would dry to a lightly hazy film. This can be wiped away easily with a clean dry rag. Only try this process on a rainy/overcast day, and out of the sun, or it will dry too quickly on you. After this first process, I applied teflon based polish from West Marine. People from all over our boat yard thought we had an epoxy paint system applied. It was always easy to keep it good after that work . I wouldn't try that initially, unless your surface has a very hazy look. Best to you on this.....Papa

I have detailed boats for many years.

Your chalky topside is oxidation, which needs a light compounding.
Keep a coat of wax on the boat to avoid this.

I suggest waxing your boat 3 times a season.
As for washing, use a boat soap.
Not dish detergent, this has a grease cutter which will remove wax.

Hope this helps

Back